which AMP gives K1000 the most Bass output ?
May 23, 2009 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

newneringa

New Head-Fier
I have tried classe, audiomat, plinius , flying mole and other class D amp.

class D amps seems like the amp for k1000 if more bass is needed.

anyway. out of the amp that you tried, which one gives the most bass output for k1000?

thank you.
beyersmile.png

May 23, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 11
Don't use a class-D amp with the K1000.

Class-D designs have an output network that has to be tuned to the impedance of the load, give or take a few ohms. Most of them are designed for a 4 ohm load. Your K1000 is 120 ohms. This combination will never have good frequency response and noise characteristics.

May 23, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 11
The First Watt F1 gave the most bass of all the amps I've heard them with.

May 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The First Watt F1 gave the most bass of all the amps I've heard them with.

My FirstWatt F1 gave a great bass response when using the SP Extreme Platinum as a pre, but the best I've heard the F1/K1000 was with a Zana Deux as a preamp. foo_me's Zanden was pretty freaking amazing with the K1000s, but that would take some mighty deep pockets. The Sig 30 is a pretty nice K1000 amp, which I was able to do a side by side comparison with the F1/ZD at a mini meet. I preferred the F1, but the Sig 30 was pretty nice for what the op is asking.

May 23, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foo_me's Zanden was pretty freaking amazing with the K1000s, but that would take some mighty deep pockets

Yeah, that was a next level amp for the K-1000s. Way better than any I've heard overall, but the price
confused_face.gif
- just goes to show how the Ks scale

May 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 11
I was thinking about either F1 or spectron musician III , with messenger preamp.

after flying mole, I started to believe class D amp is a GREAT choice.

on the paper, messengee _+ F1 or musician III should sound amazing.

there was one messeger preamp was sold on audiogon few weeks ago. unfortunately, I was busy and someone beat me to it! now I will have to wait for another unit to pop up!

the other option is tenor 75WI OTL. I am going to get a pair of kharma 3.2FE eventually anyway, tenor + kharma is the BEST combo I have ever heard in my whole life!

May 23, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't use a class-D amp with the K1000.

Class-D designs have an output network that has to be tuned to the impedance of the load, give or take a few ohms. Most of them are designed for a 4 ohm load. Your K1000 is 120 ohms. This combination will never have good frequency response and noise characteristics.

I thought the problem could be solved by placing a pair of 4 ohm resistors in parallel across the speaker terminal.
wink_face.gif

May 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by newneringa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the problem could be solved by placing a pair of 4 ohm resistors in parallel across the speaker terminal.
wink_face.gif

yeah but it's a big waste of power, and the funny thing about class-D is that the distortion graph typically takes a big jump after the first 20% or so of the rated power output.

May 23, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 11
the best amp i've heard with the k1000 was a moth audio amp in the k1000 room at the first national meet. it might've been the 300B paradigm, but i'm not sure. it's what made me lust after the k1000...i ran mine out of a sig30 for awhile and it produced really great bass, even better than the moth. while i did listen to the k1000 out of the F1 and other really good amps, i don't recall how they fared in the bass department.

May 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Don't know about "most", but I find the K1000 to have well controlled, detailed and plenty of bass output driven by the Signature 30.2. It lacks a bit extension, but I say that is a result of the K1000 design and not the amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back