Which amp for the ath-w5000 ? (narrowed down to 2)
Dec 14, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #16 of 24
I've owned both also, though not at the same time.

The Yamamoto HA-02 is the one that stayed. I really enjoy owning this amp as the quality in it is very apparent.

My unit hummed as well. I discovered this was mainly due to it being too close to DAC source, which has some autoformers in it.

I also use a diy power filter/cable as well and this has further improved the sound.

So, some care in placement and power into the amplifier is needed.

The results are worth it and I happily drive my Sony R10 with them and feel I am getting a very realistic and open window into the music.

The HA5000 is a very nice amp but you are tying yourself down a bit if you decide to get it.

Dec 14, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you check the navbar links on PriceJapan's homepage, they will basically get you "the lowest street price in Japan" (on anything you want), plus a markup of 4000 Yen. Plus shipping of course. Seems like a pretty good service....I haven't ordered from them yet, but they seem to have good response on emails etc.

I confirmed this by getting a price quote from them, but also discovered that they can only supply it in 100V version. I'm in the UK and they offered to supply a voltage transformer, price not quoted. Does anyone know whether HA-02s supplied directly from the manufacturer are available in 240V version?

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I confirmed this by getting a price quote from them, but also discovered that they can only supply it in 100V version. I'm in the UK and they offered to supply a voltage transformer, price not quoted. Does anyone know whether HA-02s supplied directly from the manufacturer are available in 240V version?

while i am unsure if they supply a 240v version... with the money saved u can get a step down converter ,
in australia they cost about $30 , so in england thats about like 5 pounds
eek.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dexster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- the HA-02 is better in terms of longevity (ie can upgradeable to different headphones and still keep this amp) and can also be used for speakers (within reason) etc

-BUT the HA-02 has questionable build quality with a few different posts mentioning a persistent humming sound... this maybe an inherent fault of tube amps but im sorry it is unacceptable once the cost is considered...

Definitely no question about build quality, it is faultless. As for humming, mine hums on the left channel, only in the evenings, when power quality takes a BIG hit here, for +/- 3 hrs, then usage starts dropping the hum goes away, voltage is also 7-10 volts over voltage, I sit 3 floors, directly over a "Primary power Sub-station".

When power usage goes up, one can hear the transformers HUM, and in the evenings when I hear the hum on the Yamamoto, the pitch of the humming transformers increases somewhat, and it is during the periods of increased pitch from the sub-station, that I hear hum on the Yamamoto, if I take my Yamamoto to my friends house, also a Yamamoto owner, there is no hum, and when the Yamamoto is plugged into his "PS Audio power - regenerator", also no hum, and the sound improves a great deal. Mostly using a Thorens Reference turntable, SME V arm and a vd Hul Grasshopper cartridge, as source. During the same period, I hear hum on the Yamamoto, I hear a drop in sound quality using my normal hi-fi.

The quality of the power into which the Yamamoto is plugged into, does affect how it sounds ... , I have no doubts about that at all, a well shielded, quality third party power chord will also help, if like me, you run 4 computers right next to the Yammy. And the Yammy sounds fantastic with Senn 580, 600, 650 as well as W1000's and W5000's.

The Senn's have a full well rounded sound, good soundstage and perform very well, tho on some recordings they tend to lack slightly in the dynamics department, the W1000's have the dynamics but don't have as full, and well rounded sound as the senn's, the W5000's sit somewhere between the W1000's and the Senn's.

The W1000's or the W5000's are on my shopping list, but I am having trouble deciding which it will be ... <sigh> .... , I can only afford one more pair of headphones, before my significant other starts being awkward about it ...
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mine is a 240Volt 50/60Mhz version, when we ordered, we where asked what voltage version was required ...

As stated in a previous post, the Yamamoto is affected by the quality of power fed it, so I would most highly recommend you get one for the correct voltage, as adding extra transformers into the power feed will in all likely hood decrease the performance of the unit, especially if you live in an area with variable and/or bad power quality.

Dec 15, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by java /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is a 240Volt 50/60Mhz version, when we ordered, we where asked what voltage version was required ...

May I ask where you got it?
A local distributor or directly from Yamamoto or a japanese middleman?

Unfortunately the german distributor due to costly european regulations (gear has to be CE approved and ROHS compliant) does only provide kits and no HA-02 at all.

Dec 15, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #22 of 24
The HA-5000 isn't especially voiced for the W5000s.
That's rumor, not fact.
There's too much gain for the W5000s anyway.I guess that's evidence that this amp wasn't designed especially for the W5000s.
A fellow german head-fier did run a test.
The frequency response is as close to flat as other neutral amps.
I do own the similar HA2002 and I can approve that it's a relatively versatile amp.There's a synergy effect with some headphones and others don't sound particularly special, but the usability is in no way restricted to AT headphones.
The AKG K340s for instance are as far away from the W5000s (or W2002s) specwise as it gets.Just plug them in and you might be surprised.Not the best combination I've heard but decent..

I've just plugged the HD650s in I've already sold and have to ship monday.
Man, I get a serious attack of sellers remorse.I've never tried the combination before .It does sound quite good.

The HA2002/HA5000 is a very good versatile amp.It's my favorite SS amp so far and I'm glad I've bought it.

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately the german distributor due to costly european regulations (gear has to be CE approved and ROHS compliant) does only provide kits and no HA-02 at all.

There being no agent here, (South Africa), we (my friend and myself) ordered a pair of HA-02's, directly from Yamamoto Japan, no third party/middlemen. Took 13 weeks for us to get ours, and we are both extremely happy with our Yamamoto's, just a little annoyed that the customs folks, processed them on a wrong item number which ended up costing us nearly $80 US, each extra, but we think it was still worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I purchased mine directly from Yamamoto Japan.
I believe that as long as there is no official Yamamoto distributor/dealer in your country then you can order direct otherwise you go with your local agent
ie Venus Audio in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back