Which Amp for LCD-2 Classics
Mar 18, 2018 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nicknack40

100+ Head-Fier
Evening all after little advice please i currently ordered the Audeze LCD2-classics which will arrive on Tuesday i do have a Magni 3 which i have just purchased i have a Musical Fidelity v90 dac, Which my Active speakers are connected to for PC use am i right in thinking the Magni 3 will power the classics ok? or am i better off getting something better getting an DAC/AMP combo or just getting another headphone Amp to get the best out the Classics? just feel spending £600 on these cans and £110 on the Amp a little bit unfair LOLOL any help be appreciated thanks. If i do go up a little id be looking at spending £400 uk money many thanks....Nick

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 7
I would just keep your Magni 3 in the meantime, and think about upgrading down the road. The Magni 3 I had powered my LCD-2s very well, power to spare and sounded great.

I have since upgraded to a Cavalli Carbon X, and from memory it doesnt seem to be much different in single ended output than the Magni 3. Though i have a balanced cable coming in the mail to use the full power of my new amp.

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 7
I've been using the Magni 2U (on low gain) with my LCD-2C's and it sounds amazing. I've seen a lot of people recommending the Burson Soloist though and I'm pretty tempted to find out if I could get more out of them with a better amp.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 7
I've been using the Magni 2U (on low gain) with my LCD-2C's and it sounds amazing. I've seen a lot of people recommending the Burson Soloist though and I'm pretty tempted to find out if I could get more out of them with a better amp.
Yep me 2 just found out that my headphones wont be with me until end of the month, But im not sure the Advantage of the Magni 3 is i have a Musical fidelty V90 DAC and a pair of Ruark MR1 MK2 active speakers now there connected to my DAC via RCA at the back of my DAC to AUX in on my Ruarks so im stumped but the Magni 3 gives me the option to use my speakers aswell as headphone at a switch

Mar 19, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Evening all after little advice please i currently ordered the Audeze LCD2-classics which will arrive on Tuesday i do have a Magni 3 which i have just purchased i have a Musical Fidelity v90 dac, Which my Active speakers are connected to for PC use am i right in thinking the Magni 3 will power the classics ok? or am i better off getting something better getting an DAC/AMP combo or just getting another headphone Amp to get the best out the Classics? just feel spending £600 on these cans and £110 on the Amp a little bit unfair LOLOL any help be appreciated thanks. If i do go up a little id be looking at spending £400 uk money many thanks....Nick

The price doesn't matter as much as the specs. In terms of absolute power output the Magni3 will be your best bet for the money. THD+N are also good.

The only thing that might be a problem is that the older Magnis did have a tendency to get shrill when pushed. You'd probably push the Magni3 a lot less, but if you do start getting a bit of audible distortion, it's going to be a little bit sharper compared to how a Meier or Violectric would err on going warmer.

Given the LCD-2C is relatively weaker above 800hz than below that, you might as well try it out first since you should rarely crank it up that loud, and even when you do, the Magni is more of a problem when it makes headphones with treble peaks worse, which likely won't apply to the LCD-2C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back