Which Amp for K701 under $1000?
Mar 14, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Takashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Itsborken, what does stock SE entail? If you mean un-modded in anyway, then that's my case, stock cable and all.

Thats what I meant. Some people say they have good results balancing the 701s. I haven't tried myself (maybe one day). The GS-1 is single ended.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 37
Burn-in is so fun. The sound just keeps getting better! I'm pretty into the Woos after reading a bit. And those giant tubes are so phallic. They remind me of those wide ties from the 70's. So manly.

Pariah1, Ray Samuels himself told me that his portables can't power the k701 and that I'd have to get one of his desktops. In fact he sort of scolded me for purchasing the k701 without thinking about amps first. He told me if I was going to go portable or small-desktop I should've gone with Senns. So check the P-51 off your list! As for his HR2, my experience testing that amp with the k701 is a huge reason that I am into audiophile stuff now. Testing the HR2 was the first time I realized that you could "see" sound without drugs. As far as your list goes, I've compiled similar lists, and the Canamp is at the top of mine for your price range. Not that I've tried it, just by the reviews. And it's actually second on my under $1000 list! With GS1 third. For now...

Wgb113, you address the exact reason for my starting this thread! Until last week I was dead-set on the DAC1 PRE, in which case I wouldn't've felt an immediate need for an external amp, but then I discovered the Peachtree Nova. I didn't get it yet, but I have very little faith in the Nova headphone amp, at least for the k701. So external it is.

Atothex, you bring up the most sensical thing I've heard regarding the tube/SS conflict. Thank you for uniting the division, at least in my head.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

<snip>
I'm pretty into the Woos after reading a bit. And those giant tubes are so phallic.
</snip>

Beware that those "giant tubes" are not what comes as stock with the WA6. That big tube in DoingOK's pic and the ones on Woo's website is a "Sophia Princess mesh plate rectifier" it can be ordered as an upgrade from Woo Audio.

I also use a set of K701s with my WA6. I love the combo for jazz and classical. Ask Woo if they can sell it to you with 6FD7 tubes (if not, you can buy them separately elsewhere), those up the "ooomph" a bit for the K701.

cheers!

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard SS are better suited for the K701/702's

I have the K701 and I prefer tubes over SS....but that's just my opinion.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Burn-in is so fun. The sound just keeps getting better!

Same here!
k701smile.gif

Quote:

Pariah1, Ray Samuels himself told me that his portables can't power the k701 and that I'd have to get one of his desktops. In fact he sort of scolded me for purchasing the k701 without thinking about amps first. He told me if I was going to go portable or small-desktop I should've gone with Senns. So check the P-51 off your list! As for his HR2, my experience testing that amp with the k701 is a huge reason that I am into audiophile stuff now. Testing the HR2 was the first time I realized that you could "see" sound without drugs. As far as your list goes, I've compiled similar lists, and the Canamp is at the top of mine for your price range. Not that I've tried it, just by the reviews. And it's actually second on my under $1000 list! With GS1 third. For now...

Yea, a lot of those amps I just put down without even looking into them. If they were mentioned in the thread then they went on the list. I haven't yet really started to do any looking up and selecting. But I have heard the Canamp is great and it looks good as well.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry too much about tubes vs solid state. Good tube amps sound very detailed and neutral, while good solid states sound very musical and fluid.

I thought that was the reverse, that SS is more cold, analytical, detailed and neutral, while tubes are warmer, musical, less detailed, and colored. Am I totally wrong?
confused.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that was the reverse, that SS is more cold, analytical, detailed and neutral, while tubes are warmer, musical, less detailed, and colored. Am I totally wrong?
confused.gif

You're not totally wrong. I'm saying those are stereotypes that are defied by simply having a good design.
atsmile.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #24 of 37
I recommend the Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2. It's a solid state design, but it has the warmth of a tube headphone amplifier. I owned the AKG K 701 and the HR-2 combination for over two years with great pleasure.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

You're not totally wrong. I'm saying those are stereotypes that are defied by simply having a good design.
atsmile.gif

I got ya, and I thought that was what you were saying in the first place.
k701smile.gif
But generally the generalizations seem to hold true, no?
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #26 of 37
You should at least consider the LD DAC 1 + LD MKVII+ for a balanced setup that would cost way under your buget ($700). If you can use a soldering iron you could reterminate the headphones yourself for around $10. I am very pleased with this setup, although I must admit that I have not listened to any of the commonly recommended amps for the K701.

Mar 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Same here!
k701smile.gif

Yea, a lot of those amps I just put down without even looking into them. If they were mentioned in the thread then they went on the list. I haven't yet really started to do any looking up and selecting. But I have heard the Canamp is great and it looks good as well.

I just got my hands on a canamp--at first glance the soundstage is definitely collapsed compared to a glite. Removed a lot of the reason I enjoy the 701s vs other hp to begin with. Haven't put in a lot of time to listening to it though as I'm troubleshooting a monitor issue in the HT <sigh>.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #28 of 37
My first "good" headphone is the K701. As far as amps here is what I have tried over the last two months:

RW Amp 1- good power, great bang for the buck.
Corda Headfive- better power, warmer than Amp 1, slightly more bass.
MF X-Can V8P- Great amp, open airy soundstage, super detail and lots of power.
Woo WA6SE- fantastic with stock tubes, better bass than previous amps, fast and dynamic. With Sophia, more soundstage, maybe a bit deeper bass response.

This is where I'm at right now. I've tried the HD650 and Darth Beyer Deep cups, and sold both, but still have the K701. But I'll be honest, I do still crave a slightly warmer sound with just a bit deeper bass, without losing the soundstage and detail that I have become so fond of with the K701.

I would not hesitate to try the WA2 as well, as it is supposedly a warmer amp (as per Jack Woo's own words) which I think would benefit the K701. Jack's personal favorite for the K701 is the WA6SE w/Sophia Princess.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

I got ya, and I thought that was what you were saying in the first place.
k701smile.gif
But generally the generalizations seem to hold true, no?
biggrin.gif

I guess, but I can also generalize that the majority of headphones are bassless earbuds. Usually Apple or Skullcandy brand. There's no point talking about crappy gear.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my hands on a canamp--at first glance the soundstage is definitely collapsed compared to a glite. Removed a lot of the reason I enjoy the 701s vs other hp to begin with. Haven't put in a lot of time to listening to it though as I'm troubleshooting a monitor issue in the HT <sigh>.

That's interesting, thanks for the info.

I've been wondering how many of these preferred amps for the 701's are preferred because they try to transform the 701's into something they are not: warmer and more mid-range centric. I don't want that, I want something that doesn't try to color the 701's a different shade, but just improves on their SS. (Although a little more warmth or depth to their upper mids and something that helped their sometimes glarey/hard treble might be nice).

I have no real idea if my EF-1 is coloring them a lot or not since I have no other good amp to compare it to (the x-head is decent at best). If anything it seems to put a bit of an upper mid range veil on them and my 225i's, even with my preferred tubes (Tung Sol BG). But I can't be sure.

Quote:

I guess, but I can also generalize that the majority of headphones are bassless earbuds. Usually Apple or Skullcandy brand. There's no point talking about crappy gear.

Ok, but all things being equal, wouldn't a good SS amp be more cold, accurate, and detailed and a good tube amp be more warm, natural, and less resolving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back