Which amp for Beyer 880?
Feb 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sgupt

Head-Fier
Which amp would be optimal for a pair of beyer 880s (250 ohm)? I also need a DAC.

I was thinking something like the little dot MK I+ or II paired with a premade alien or y1 dac. Or should I just buy a fully upgraded zero? The audio-gd compass looks good, but its too much after you factor in shipping.

I wanted to try out tubes which is why I was looking at the little dots.

I have $250 max (incl shipping) for both components, so I plan to buy everything used.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 5
is the headfive better than the headsix?

also, what dac would you recommend to go with either of those?

if it makes a difference at all, i listen to a lot of trance and house so a 'faster' amp is preferable (but i dont want too much bass)

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 5
I have the DT880 250 ohm. To realistically stay in $250 budget, you should consider the iBasso D3. I use it with my laptop as source. You cannot use a bad source with these headphones, or you will not like the sibilance. Cymbals will give you a migraine. I find the DAC on the iBasso worth the money alone. You can use the amp section on the iBasso for very good results with the DT880. I am happy with this setup, but got upgradeitis and bought the Shanling PH100 which is fed by the DAC output of the iBasso with a bit more warm sound and fuller bass than the amp of the iBasso. You can always upgrade to a desktop amp later, when you have the money. What is your source? That will be key.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 5
My laptop would be my source as well. I have someone offering me a meier headfive right now for a good price, so I'm seriously considering getting it.

The arietta is supposed to work well with the 880s, and as I understand it, the arietta is very similar to the headfive.

I just feel a little hesitant buying a portable amp to run these :-/

EDIT: found a thread where a few ppl say they like(d) their headfives + 880 combo: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/cor...e-cans-239298/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back