which amp for ath-a900??
Mar 10, 2008 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

oldson

1000+ Head-Fier
hi
just bought these phones. sound great to me. but am i missing something by not having an amp??
if i do get one it will be desktop not portable, but i cant find anywhere locally (central south of uk), that can demo a headphone amp
mad.gif

any advice?
thanks

Mar 10, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 16
I will be keeping an eye on this forum cause I'm planning to get the ath-a900, but I would also like information about portable amps to if oldson doesn't mind me sharing the thread.

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 16
DLim98
no problem. the more the merrier!
i am close to committing to a "Graham Slee Solo", the intro version. with a view to adding the extra psu at later date.
unless someone can suggest something to better that, for similar price.( i doubt this will happen)
cheers

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 16
I'm also interested, particular tube amps suiting A900? Is a tube amp with transformer the only option if full bass extension is wanted from a low impedance headphone?

Mar 11, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 16
It seems odd that no one with these headphones ever seems to mention Audio-Technica's own AT-HA25D Headphone Amp, especially since it has a built-in DAC and doesn't cost much.

f_audiotechnica_atha25D.jpg

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 16
nice looking kit.
not seen any reviews though.
will look into it
cheers
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 16
Not to steal your thunder but I personally think the Slee is overkill for the A900's. They are very efficient HP's and sound good with a decent source. You are probably not going to find much of a difference.

I would instead look at getting a better DAC if you dont already have a good one, maybe one with a decent headphone amp.

If you already have a good DAC, then just spend the money on music instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to steal your thunder but I personally think the Slee is overkill for the A900's. They are very efficient HP's and sound good with a decent source. You are probably not going to find much of a difference.

I would instead look at getting a better DAC if you dont already have a good one, maybe one with a decent headphone amp.

If you already have a good DAC, then just spend the money on music instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got also the K340. Spending my money on music....hmmmmm....that just sound to logical....there must be something wrong with that recommendation
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 16
I hear people say the A900s are efficient, which they are, however, I've also noticed something that tells me they definitely gain something from amping. I noticed it first with the A900s I had, when I was trying out a pair of HD-580s, and I found it strange that I needed a higher setting on my receiver to get the same volume, I think the 580s were at 35 and the A900s needed 50. Then when I recently got my A900Ti's, I noticed that with my Sony CD player (with pretty good integrated 1/4" headphone jack), that I need to turn the knob higher to get a decent sound/volume from them compared to my DT770/250s. I had a Meier Headfive with the A900s and it did a very nice job of driving them (smoothed it out, with just enough warmth and a bit extra bass, which with the blu-tak mod really helped them). I haven't yet gotten an amp with the Ti, although I'm aiming at getting an DAC/amp combo. I have found another interesting thing, is that my laptop drives the Ti's quite well, better than the 770s, so I'm not really sure what is going on. I can't go beyond the second volume level before it hurts my ears with the Ti. The sound is plenty full too, possibly even more than my receiver or the Sony.

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 16
All phones should be somewhat of a difference with an amp, just that other phones will benefit more from an amp then the a900. The a900 definitely are efficient and don't take much to drive them at all with 40ohm impendence.

Back on topic, I paired my a900's with a new iBasso D2 and loving it so far.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 16
correct me if i am wrong!
is there not more to it than just the power of the amp, working against the impedence of the cans.
for arguements sake, would it not be possible to have two totally different amps 1) costing £100. and the 2nd costing £300 , that are capable of driving any given set of cans (of same impedence)to the same volume, but the difference being in sound quality?
if this is not the case then i am confused , more than ever!
cheers guys
confused.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
correct me if i am wrong!
is there not more to it than just the power of the amp, working against the impedence of the cans.
for arguements sake, would it not be possible to have two totally different amps 1) costing £100. and the 2nd costing £300 , that are capable of driving any given set of cans (of same impedence)to the same volume, but the difference being in sound quality?
if this is not the case then i am confused , more than ever!
cheers guys
confused.gif

That seems to be the case afaik.

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 16
I am wondering if the iBasso D2-Viper is worth it also... I ordered a pair of these headphones, and they should be in next week some time.

I be using them with my computer, and an audigy 2 zs platinum - pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back