Which amp for AKG K812?
Mar 17, 2017 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mocenigo

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering purchasing a headamp for my AKG K812. The current shortlist is

• Audio-GD C-2 (11th Anniversary Edition)
  • Gustard H10 (possibly with upgraded Burson discrete opamps)
  • Schiit Lyr 2
  • Matrix hpa-3u
  • Burson Audio Soloist SL mk II

The cans are not modified and therefore run unbalanced.
in particular I am very interested in understanding the synergy with the Audio-GD C-2 - for some reason that product inspires me a lot.

Roberto

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 12
Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier, $214-$250
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 12
  I am considering purchasing a headamp for my AKG K812. The current shortlist is

• Audio-GD C-2 (11th Anniversary Edition)
  • Gustard H10 (possibly with upgraded Burson discrete opamps)
  • Schiit Lyr
  • Matrix hpa-3u

The cans are not modified and therefore run unbalanced.
in particular I am very interested in understanding the synergy with the Audio-GD C-2 - for some reason that product inspires me a lot.

Roberto

C-2C or Lyr. Or the Heed Can-A-Lot. If you can spend more, there's the Burson Soloist.

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 12

C-2C or Lyr. Or the Heed Can-A-Lot. If you can spend more, there's the Burson Soloist.

C-2C or C2 (11th anniversary)? They seem to be different beasts, the C2 is a single ended baby-Master-9.
The Heed can-a-lot seems nice but it does not have much power.

Also, in Germany I can find the Burson Audio Soloist SL mk II for 599 EUR, which is less than cannot with its PS and comparable to C-2.

So let us add the Burson Audio Soloist SL mk II to my shortlist...

Roberto

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 12
  Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier, $214-$250
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

Sometimes I read this, but more often paired with the HD800. The Darkvoice 336SE is tube OTL, and must have a high output impedance - I fear I could lose some bass as a result. The K712 seem to pair, they have 62 Ohm, but I own the K812, that are rated at 36Ohm. What do you (and others) think?

Roberto

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 12

C-2C or C2 (11th anniversary)? They seem to be different beasts, the C2 is a single ended baby-Master-9.

I'd go either way really.

The Heed can-a-lot seems nice but it does not have much power.

The CanAmp had a reputation for current delivery that went great with the K70x headphones, which is why I included it as something you can look into, although not necessarily at the head of the list.

Also, in Germany I can find the Burson Audio Soloist SL mk II for 599 EUR, which is less than cannot with its PS and comparable to C-2.

There's one amp I forgot - look at the Meier Corda Jazz FF.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 12

C2/C2C
I'd go either way really.

Thank you.  There's a lot to like in the audio-gd designs: clear and ordered construction, good power supplies, nice regulation, and in general some "over dimensioning" that inspires confidence. I heard once the little Sparrow and that thing indeed sang very well.

The CanAmp had a reputation for current delivery that went great with the K70x headphones, which is why I included it as something you can look into, although not necessarily at the head of the list.

Ok, The K812 may be a bit harder than the K70x, but if it has good current delivery it is something I should audition: there are sellers of that in Germany, as well as of the Burson Soloist, and the 14-30 days no-questions-asked return period is something I used to actually buy something in the end, so some sellers got lucky (otherwise I would have stalled for ever).

There's one amp I forgot - look at the Meier Corda Jazz FF.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Roberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back