Which Amp for AKG K702?
Dec 12, 2017 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DrugPotato

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first set of real headphones (K702s).

From what I've read these are really power hungry headphones. So I've done quite a bit of research but I'm still unsure of what to go for. Initially I was thinking of getting a schiit stack, magni 3 and modi 2U. But I've read that the k702 doesn't really shine with the magni.

I know that I can't really expect top of the line sound quality with the amount of money I'm paying for. I'm on a budget and want you guys to recommend me the best amp within my budget (which is around $300).

I was thinking to just maybe get the schiit stack to help me get started off and upgrade later down the line while I save up and experiment with tube amps and such later.

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd suggest starting with the stack. The Magni 3 is the best amp at $100 and the Modi 2 Uber is a great dac. Down the road you can easily upgrade your amp too.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Hey thanks for your reply. I think I might just settle for the magni 3 + modi 2u.
Good idea! The PYST cables from Schiit are a good addition to the stack, they keep it looking nice and clean

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Starting out with a stack of schiit is a good idea. Some people say that the K702 doesn't shine with the magni because the K702 is a rather treble emphasised headphone and the magni has a rather bright signature from what I've heard. As you said, you can experiment with tube amps later down the line as the K7-- series is a marvel with high quality tube amps, for example the K712 which is very treble emphasised and detailed and has a really nice bass response and when paired with a quality tube amp it easily rivals $1000+ headphones.

The K702 is a bit bass anemic but don't let that put you off, if your budget allows I recommend you get the K712 pads for the K702 as they become much better with a much nicer and smoother bass response.

K702 with the K712 pads and a quality tube amp will be a wonderful experience.

Start off now with the K702 in its default form and the Schiit Stack and then in the future get the K712 pads first then upgrade to a tube amp.

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 7
The K702 is a bit bass anemic but don't let that put you off, if your budget allows I recommend you get the K712 pads for the K702 as they become much better with a much nicer and smoother bass response.

I'm not much of a bass head, which is why I'm getting these in the first place. I've listened to the ad700x, which is said to be a bit similar to the k702s, and liked the sound.

Start off now with the K702 in its default form and the Schiit Stack and then in the future get the K712 pads first then upgrade to a tube amp.

Sounds like a plan.

Dec 13, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm not much of a bass head, which is why I'm getting these in the first place. I've listened to the ad700x, which is said to be a bit similar to the k702s, and liked the sound.

Sounds like a plan.
The pads won't turn it onto a bass head headphone or a bass monster, they will bring a bit more quantity to the bass and improve the quality of it too. Even if you're not a bass head I highly recommend the K712 pads also because of the fact that they are SUPER comfy because of the velour memory foam which the K702 doesn't have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back