Which amp for a Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd gen)?
Oct 25, 2023 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Schmackofatz

New Head-Fier
Hey there! I hope u are doing great guys!

I have three questions:

Which amp can you recommend for this headphone? Maybe 2-3 price range recommendations would be great.

Does a new cable improve the sound? If yes, which cable you can recommend?

And do I need anything else besides the amp and cable to improve the sound?

Big big thanks!

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 10
The JDS Atom+ DAC+ will do a great job or Topping L30 II E30 II. The Topping DX5 Lite (non MQA) is excellent with plenty of power. All cables sound the same, measurements have been done but people still argue over it. The stock ones it comes with are really good. Audiophileninja are my favorite if you need a custom length, really durable and look stealthy.

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 10
JDS Atom+
JDS labs, as well as Schiit are not a great option in EU unfortunately, importing them from US, paying extra taxes and not having an easy way to return/send for repairs etc is not worth it.

Which amp can you recommend for this headphone?
Whatever you have already, they are easy to drive. Or get whatever Topping/Fiio/SMSL is within your price range and has the features you need.

Does a new cable improve the sound?
Cables never improve the sound, they either work as intended, or they don't.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 10
JDS labs, as well as Schiit are not a great option in EU unfortunately, importing them from US, paying extra taxes and not having an easy way to return/send for repairs etc is not worth it.

Whatever you have already, they are easy to drive. Or get whatever Topping/Fiio/SMSL is within your price range and has the features you need.

Thanks a lot for ur detailed answer! U are right, Im from Austria, so EU products would be better for me.

I dont have any amp, I mean my PC has a default soundcard I believe and I have an old Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 but I have read that Focusrite is not that good.

Would u recommend me buying an Topping, Fiio or SMSL Amp? Would it improve the sound? Would a more expensive Amp make the sound better than a cheaper one?

Do you have a specific product name in mind from one of the three brands that is supposed to be very good?

Big big thanks!

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 10

Hi Tiax, would be a Qudelix 5K also good? Or is a Topping for example better? Big thanks!

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 10
The SMSL DL200 on it's own is plenty, all in one solution for $189 and you're done. It can be used as a 5 volt DAC later if you spend the other $90 and put a Sabaj A20H on it for big power and current. Just an expansion option, the DL200 can handle 32 ohm headphones with all the headroom for EQ you could ever want. I'm listening to a Topping A90D Discrete and can't even tell it from the Sabaj A20H for sound. It's built to handle a 5 volt DAC for best performance.

Oct 27, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Hi Tiax, would be a Qudelix 5K also good?
Sure, it will also drive T5 with no problem. Same for many other dongle DACs actually

Would u recommend me buying an Topping, Fiio or SMSL Amp?
Topping DX3 pro+
Fiio K5 or K7 or K9
SMSL DL200 or C200
iFi ZEN DAC v2

Any of them will do fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back