Which amp/dac combo for both headphones/speakers?
Apr 18, 2013 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

codybell85

New Head-Fier
My goal is to have both my 2.1 speakers and my HD 650's running through my amp/dac combo, into my computer.  I currently own an Schiit Asgard amp and a HRT Music Stream ii.  

I have been using the headphone jack on the asgard to switch off plugging my HD 650's and my 2.1 speakers into.  I heard recently though, that plugging these ACTIVE speakers into my headphone amp.  I want to be able to have my speakers plugged into either dac/amp at all times and whenever i plug my headphones in, for it to silence the speakers.  

Can someone please guide me on some products that can accomplish this?  I noticed that the new Asgard 2 have pre-outs.  WOudl this be a good decision?

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 48
I'm in almost the exact same position, I have a pair of HD650s and will soon have a pair of Audioengine A5s and am leaning toward getting the Audioengine D1 DAC/headphone amp ($170).  This device will allow you to do as you requested, it will auto mute the speakers when headphones are connected.  Another alternative is pick up one of those Creative Z series ($150-250) sound cards or you could get what i have now which is the $70 Creative X-FI HD external card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102032).  I think the D1 will yield the best sound option though over the Creative sound cards.  I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread though for other alternatives.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 48
Have you checked out the Schiit Asgard 2?  It has 2 pre-out rca plugs on the back that you could plug a 2.1 system into.  Also when you put headphones in the amp it will mute the speakers.  Only reason its not an auto buy for me is because i have the first Asgard without the preouts already.  I just wanted to find a DAC that i could plug my speakers into.  Know of any other DACs?

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 48
Quote:
Have you checked out the Schiit Asgard 2?  It has 2 pre-out rca plugs on the back that you could plug a 2.1 system into.  Also when you put headphones in the amp it will mute the speakers.  Only reason its not an auto buy for me is because i have the first Asgard without the preouts already.  I just wanted to find a DAC that i could plug my speakers into.  Know of any other DACs?

I hear decent things about the Dragonfly DAC (seems overpriced for $250) and the Schiit Modi.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 48
Does anyone else have any suggestions that aren't super expensive?

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 48
I'm probably just going to save up for the Asgard 2 and sell my Asgard. Haven't been able to find much info on DAC's with this ability and doesn't seem like i can get much help from others.  Guess not many use headphone amp/dac to power speakers.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 48
You haven't mentioned budget yet, so I'll say check out the CEntrance DACmini PX It's a DAC, headphone amp, and 2 speaker amp for $999.

If you have a speaker amp already, then the little brother the DACmini CX is a DAC, headphone amp, and has RCA/coax/and optical outs to go to a speaker amp.  Its $799 new.

I've seen both in the classifieds here, from time to time.

http://centrance.com/products/dacmini/px/
http://centrance.com/products/dacmini/cx/

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 48
I currently have an RSA Predator Dac/Amp, Ive been using it both for portable use and as a desktop for my computer. I plan on getting Ray's Raptor desktop amp for home listening paired with a OPPO BDP-105 , in the interim before I get the OPPO I was going to feed the Raptor from my Predator for playing music off my PC via USB. Has anyone tried a similar combo on the cheap to get them to the next step. I plan on getting the Raptor in the next month or so, and the Oppo this summer when my budget allows. Thanks for any help or comments, I'm sue it would work and get me by for the time being, Ill just need to keep the Predator's volume rather low to keep from overloading the Raptors inputs.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 48
I think I'm going to get a AudioEngine D1 for the time being then later upgrade to the Asgard 2

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:
I currently have an RSA Predator Dac/Amp, Ive been using it both for portable use and as a desktop for my computer. I plan on getting Ray's Raptor desktop amp for home listening paired with a OPPO BDP-105 , in the interim before I get the OPPO I was going to feed the Raptor from my Predator for playing music off my PC via USB. Has anyone tried a similar combo on the cheap to get them to the next step. I plan on getting the Raptor in the next month or so, and the Oppo this summer when my budget allows. Thanks for any help or comments, I'm sue it would work and get me by for the time being, Ill just need to keep the Predator's volume rather low to keep from overloading the Raptors inputs.

Do you think this dac/amp combo will work well with speakers?

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:
You haven't mentioned budget yet, so I'll say check out the CEntrance DACmini PX It's a DAC, headphone amp, and 2 speaker amp for $999.

If you have a speaker amp already, then the little brother the DACmini CX is a DAC, headphone amp, and has RCA/coax/and optical outs to go to a speaker amp.  Its $799 new.

I've seen both in the classifieds here, from time to time.

http://centrance.com/products/dacmini/px/
http://centrance.com/products/dacmini/cx/

Wow, I love how the CX is so customizable with their custom mods and it looks so classy.  It's just a little out of my price range.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 48
Dang that CX is quite amazing...definitely out of the price range though.  Audioengine D1 would be perfect if i didn't need an AMP for my hd 650s....Question though, if i were to plug my speakers into the headphone jack on the D1, then still connect the DAC to my Asgard, would the speakers be muted when i jacked into the headphone on the asgard?

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:
Do you think this dac/amp combo will work well with speakers?

Well, as I am currently using a vintage Pioneer receiver to power my speakers, I use my PC speaker out to the amp and USB to my Predator, when I connect the predator the speakers are muted and all audio goes to my Predator, not an ideal setup, but I can listen to my music on my speakers, but where I live headphones allow me to listen at more pleasing levels. Never tried the predator to directly drive full range speakers, but it worked fine using as a preamp for my current setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back