Which amp components require burn-in?
Dec 7, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

procreate

500+ Head-Fier
I know electrolytic caps and tubes require burn-in, but what other components require it?

I initially wanted to ask: If my amp is burned in and I change a mosfet opamp, do I have to do the burn-in again? Then I also wanted to know about changing electrolytic caps and … So I opted for the general question.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 5
I guess that it's all the metallic conductors (traces of the boards, leads of the components...) what "burn in", rather than, say, the op-amps. And I think it's reasonable to expect passive components like resistors and caps to burn in (i.e. improve their sound to the ear) and that it doesn't have to be measurable to be real. 'Cause you know, we're not talking computers here
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know electrolytic caps and tubes require burn-in, but what other components require it?

I initially wanted to ask: If my amp is burned in and I change a mosfet opamp, do I have to do the burn-in again? Then I also wanted to know about changing electrolytic caps and … So I opted for the general question.

The new owner needs most 'burning in'. Why is it believed that 'burning in' of components always results in improved sound ? - electronic components are not like car engines where bearing surfaces get polished with use and result in smoother running. Electrolytic capacitors do build up their dielectric layer with first usage - this occurs in the first hour or so of applied voltage - there are no mystical processes happening to resistors and active components such as transistors and diodes. Provided the components are rated correctly and are not stressed electrically or thermally, a new amp settles down in an hour or so.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jirams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrolytic capacitors do build up their dielectric layer with first usage - this occurs in the first hour or so of applied voltage - there are no mystical processes happening to resistors and active components such as transistors and diodes. Provided the components are rated correctly and are not stressed electrically or thermally, a new amp settles down in an hour or so.

So it's just the electrolytic caps and tubes? That's good to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back