Which 5gb for Me...
Feb 7, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 42
From what I have gathered from many users the Micro doesnt have the power that some of the other players have. I remember Bangra saying it was not very good thru the car, and it only has 5 mW of output power. After enjoying the iRiver sound for a while, they might pack their players with a little too much power for our ears, you said noisy enviornments, iRiver is the way to go

Feb 7, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie87
From what I have gathered from many users the Micro doesnt have the power that some of the other players have. I remember Bangra saying it was not very good thru the car, and it only has 5 mW of output power. After enjoying the iRiver sound for a while, they might pack their players with a little too much power for our ears, you said noisy enviornments, iRiver is the way to go

Charlie, although I use it in a portable environment, the headphones are actually canalphones, so they block out most of the noise. Also, I do not listen to my music as loud as others, so the power output is no big deal.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
It'd be cool for summer vacation...or spring break. I think the release will be timed to coincide with the start of Apple's next fiscal quarter...so March-ish?

Looks like I may be off by a month. According to AppleInsider, the new iPod mini is set to be announced this month.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=870

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #34 of 42
yyoo any fan site of a product or company is bound to have hundreds...nay...hundrends upon hundreds of rumors. i refer you to halo 2. if you are or were a fan and went on the site during the last 4 months before the release you would have thought that the disk would be gold plated for the people who stood in line at midnight, that master cheif would be able to sprint, cary as many weapons as he wanted, and that halo 3 would be coming out not even a year after halo 2 was released. its all theorys and speculation for incredible sources. but hey what the hell do i know im just throwing out theorys and speculations with no credible sources.
icon10.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #35 of 42
Personally, I believe that if radio/otf playlist aren't important to you, you should go for the Carbon. I like the Carbon for its shape (wedge, which makes it extremely pocketable), weight (light), style (purely personal preference), and battery life (blows the rest out of the water). The Micro does have replaceable batteries which could theoretically create a very long battery life, but when looking for a very portable player, I chose something that was more built-in. I haven't timed the battery life, but I'm more than pleased with it. Battery life is almost not an issue for me anymore. With my iPod, I was always a bit concerned about how much life was left. With the Carbon, it's not that big of a deal. As far as build quality--it's pretty solid. Not perfect, of course. I like the plasticky-whatever-it-is material used to construct the front of the Carbon because it's pretty scratch resistant. While in theory the metal back is very scratchable, I just left on the cling plastic that came with the Carbon and have had no scratching problems. It still looks pretty good.

I actually did get a Best Buy Warranty. Previously, I had owned an iPod, and it died on me after a little over a year. I'm not familiar with the warranty life, but I'm pretty sure that they max out after a year. Although Best Buy isn't my preferred means of replacement, I'm going to be safe rather than sorry this time.

Feb 8, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #36 of 42
I went to Best Buy today to see what I could try out, and the only one out of the four that they had was the iRiver h10. I tried it out and was not very impressed with it: the small color screen was harder to read than I expected and the touchpad was not very easy to control (which may just take getting used to).

Now it is pretty much down to the Carbon and the Micro. I like the Carbon better for everything except warranty, so it seems that will have to be my deciding factor

Feb 8, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
I went to Best Buy today to see what I could try out, and the only one out of the four that they had was the iRiver h10. I tried it out and was not very impressed with it: the small color screen was harder to read than I expected and the touchpad was not very easy to control (which may just take getting used to).

Now it is pretty much down to the Carbon and the Micro. I like the Carbon better for everything except warranty, so it seems that will have to be my deciding factor

compusa has both the micro and the carbon, if you want to compare them. it was very helpful in my decision

i think if you dont like the h10 touchpad, you won't like the micro's either. The h10's pad is a little more...i'm not sure how to say it....maybe it's more 'controlled'. However, i think it's something very easy to get used to with a little bit of practice. I was used to the micro's pad in about 5 minutes, even though I was apprehensive at first.
I thought the same of the h10's screen; I don't know why they made it so small. It's not a dealbreaker, but I wish it was a little wider.

Feb 9, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #38 of 42
frown.gif
frown.gif

There are no perfect player.

I've found in some local shops the Philips HDD100 for about 247 USD(READ: CHEAP), they look UBER cool however after reading about its weenie output I put off the idea. Besides they have line-in built in... UGH I WANT THAT FEATURE.

The Micro can be had for about the same price as the HDD100, I didn't like its aesthetics as much as say the HDD100 or the H10. The deal breaker was the power output. 5-7mW? WTH? My MuVo2 pumps out 13mW. I understand the micro can drive the e2cs which I own just fine, however I would like to have the flexibility to use bigger headphones unamp(porta amps are almost impossible to find here) in the future. So bye bye Micro
mad.gif

Looks like I am left with the H10, I can live with the lack of ID3 organisation (I have always used album folders to arrange my music). Colour screen looks cool. I may buy it if I have the money. But the lack of built in line-in
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #39 of 42
if its any consolation i havent had a single problem driving any 32 ohm headphone i or my friends have. the micro can get loud wich is good but not hurt your ears loud which saves batterylife i guess. i never use the 25/25 setting. even with px100 in the cafeteria at my school with well over a thousand people eating lunch,talking, and yelling i use the 23/25. i dont think that the e2c's will have anywhere close the the driving problems that i have because they isolate so much
280smile.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #40 of 42
I have a carbon and its pretty good. It doesnt have an FM tuner but it has a really good EQ. When you boost and cut with the EQ it actualy sounds good. Ive tried about 5 others and the 2 RIO that ive used had the best EQ and the best sound. I triedd both RIOs with eggos D77 and these have good volume also. If you like to really crank your music then your gona like the RIO.

I have a carbon and a forge

Feb 9, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #41 of 42
I was trying to decide between the micro and the mrobe recently, and I went with the mrobe. Very good build quality and very cool looking. I ruled out the ipod mainly because everyone and their mom and her sister has one, and I didn't want itunes. Then I got the mrobe for $180 off ebay. Overall, now that my ksc75 came in, the mrobe is fine for me. It doesn't get ear-splitting loud, but I can live with that. The screen can be hard to read in the sun, maybe others are as well, I don't know.

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #42 of 42
the draw back to the coolness factor is the useless factor (alright its not useless at all but i just needed to rhym
tongue.gif
) i read a couple reviews about the backlight and i knew it wasnt for me because i would have to unlock it and turn on the backlight everytime i wanted to see the song/battery life. same with the H10.... yay micro.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back