Which $500 tube amp to go?
Mar 29, 2005 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Doug411

New Head-Fier
Hi there

I'm looking for a decent tube headphone amp with price range around $500.
I have searched all the posts and these six are in my top list

SinglePower PPX3
Musical Fidelity X-Can V3
David Berning MicroZotl
DIY HiFi Supply Chazz
Eddie Current HD25
MAD Ear+

I have used over 30+ tube amplifiers for speakers, but the only tube amp for headphone I used was X-Can V2. I liked its detailed sound, but decided not to keep it.

OK, I have been sorry to my wallet for a few weeks, now I have HD600, SA5K, K501, DT880, ER4S, and 325i.
Which one of above tube amp would you recommend with one of my headphones especially for classical music listening?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 29
I'm expecting my X Can v3 today and my SR-71 some time this week. I don't have much experience with headphone amps, but Ilike what I've read about Musical Fidelity... so much so that I also ordered their X series DAC, tube buffer and power supply combo.

Mar 29, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 29
I can only speak on behave of the PPX3 as I have spent some quality time with one. It is a very good amp. Lush, full, powerful sound. It is however very tubey, if your wanting the last word in detail some of your other choices might be better. If you want a musical tubey sounding amp that is alot of fun to listen to the PPX3 might be for you. Here is a link to a review of the ppx3-6sn7 amp.
http://www.soundstage.com/allinyourh...head200410.htm

You have assembeld a list of very good amps in your price range. Good luck.
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 29
I totally agree with TomHankins on the PPX3. I have the X-Can v2 and the PPX3, and the X-Can is very SS sound for a tube amp, but the PPX3 is more lush, powerful, better bass than the X-Can, and it is a big improvment over the X-Can in every way. If you like tube sound, and for $500, the PPX3 is a good choice.

Philip

Mar 29, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 29
The current ppx3 with the solen 1 upgrade is still a warm powerful sounding amp. But the current version has more neutrality, refinement and a touch less warmth than my original ppx3. I owned the Eddie Current hd300 and have auditioned the hd25 and I still like the ppx3 best; especially for senns but also for grados. IMO, out of the amps on your list I have heard the ppx3 is the best sounding with both high and low impedence headphones, followed by the Eddie Current hd25. The mapletree ear+ is very good with grados but not so good with senns from my auditions. The hd25 was very good with the senns to me, but not as good with my grado sr-225's as the ear+. I didnt like the x-cans that well. I am another listener who thinks the x-cans is to solid state sounding. Good luck with your search.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug411
Thanks for recommendations.

The website of singlepower.com doesn't show the price, and it has many options. What's the price of standard PPX-3?

Doug

I would email him and have him give you a quote. I think the prices may have changed.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiophilehi
A bit off topic but where would the wooaudio 3 fit within the lineup?

Paul G.

Myself, I would put the Woo 3 about even with the hd25 for sound quality. But I am not sure how well it will drive low impedence headphones. I can say the Woo sounds very good with my senn 650's. The silver chassis version I decided on is much better looking than I imagined it would be. The silver Woo mates very well appearance wise with my Music Hall cd-25 or Philips 963sa too.
cool.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 29
I'd agree that the PPX3 is very tubey sounding; a bit too much so for my taste. Very good amp and very pretty too, just not my thing in the end.
Of the others you're considering, I'm very tempted by the HD-25. I've only heard one EC model and liked it alot. I haven't heard the others on your list.
CPW
PS My PPX3 was P2P wired, not the newer version w/ PCB. Don't know if they sound different now or not. I did some tube rolling w/ mine but still found it a little too warm. Good Luck.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Myself, I would put the Woo 3 about even with the hd25 for sound quality. But I am not sure how well it will drive low impedence headphones. I can say the Woo sounds very good with my senn 650's. The silver chassis version I decided on is much better looking than I imagined it would be. The silver Woo mates very well appearance wise with my Music Hall cd-25 or Philips 963sa too.
cool.gif

Thanks SACD!

I just recently joined this forum and already have many hours sifting through all the threads.
biggrin.gif
I have pretty much narrowed my choice of headphones to the Senn HD650’s. I at least had the opportunity to audition a decent amount of headphones.

Amps are another story. Since most of the amps of choice on this forum are direct purchases from the manufacturer is impossible to audition them all together.

I have narrowed my selection down to the SinglePower PPX3-6SN7, SinglePower MPX3, Musical Fidelity X-Can V3, Eddie Current HD25, and the Wooaudio3.

I started out with a budget for amps at around $500.00 but it looks like I will be going over that. I don’t mind spending the extra money if the amp is worth the price. For example, I’m leaning towards the SinglePower PPX3-6SN7 but I don’t mind purchasing the SinglePower MPX3 if it warrants the extra money.

Maybe I should start a separate thread.

Paul G.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 29
Before I got my PPX3-6SN7, I'm using HP-100B (Hybrid) from Chinese.
When I switch on my PPX3, 30 second later I took HP-100B into my garage.
PPX3 is a good amp, I've heard X-can, HP-100B.

Mar 30, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 29
Check out the EC HD25, for the money it is a bargain. Read Jude's review. I think it is every bit as good as the MPX3. If you are looking to not break your budget by much then the HD25 is your amp. It drives low imp headphones without any problem. That is all I use with my HD25.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 29
I just found out that EC HD25 has 3 inputs, a loop out, and a line out. Is the line output of HD25 passive or active? I would definitely go HD25 if it also acts as a good pre-amp.

Doug

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 29
I am actually looking into/doing research into amps in the exact same price range. I don't know anything but tube amps so it's kinda an adventure
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll definitely be following this thread very closely.. and it'd be wonderful if more people who own tube amps in the $5-800 range could come forward with impressions.

Mostly I'll be using HD650s and ety-4p>s. All kinds of music..... but female vocals and classical will determine which amp I eventually purchase.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back