Which 4.4mm balanced Sony Walkman should I buy?
Dec 16, 2023 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nautilus

Head-Fier
So I just started flying a lot again (I only use headphones in the air these days), I picked up a set of awesome Sony MDR-1AM2-B to replace my wireless Sony 1000XM2 that I've grown tired of wearing and to my surprise they included a Balanced cable so I thought it would be fun to pick up a Walkman.

I ended up buying a NW-ZX507 that was supposed to be new , it turned out to be quite used so I'm going to return it, with a second chance I want to do some more research as it turns out I can't use it to play audio from my Mac laptop.
In the air I do a mix of listening to music and watching movies so I would love to be able to use the walkman for movies on the laptop Ideally over Bluetooth even if it's a lower quality transmission to keep the walkman in my pocket or bag instead of trying to share space with the laptop but wired via usb-c would work too.
Do I need to go back to the nw-zx300 generation for this feature? I believe it's capable but I'm worried about batteries that old.
Any other suggestions?
If this has been reviewed my apologies, I'm having a hard time figuring this out via search.
The models well over $1,000 are out of my price range for this use case.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 5
The Sennheiser Momentum 3 sound great and the case charges them 3 times before needing a plug. I'd do playback from the laptop or phone and consolidate devices that way.
If wired is an option, the 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 sound fantastic and so inexpensive. When travelling I use them since loss or breaking them wouldn't be a financial hit. Also one less thing to charge.

Dec 16, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for engaging Dunring, I should have made it more clear that I love the new headphones and want to use them. Just trying to figure out which walkman would pair with my needs.

Dec 16, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 5
As far as I know to get the BT receiver function you would need one of the older Sony OS based players as I don’t think any of the new Android based players have that feature. ZX300 is a very nice player or a 1st gen 1A for even better wired sound

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 5
With the battery already being bad on these it's probably a bad idea to go that route, I do like using Tidal as well. Kinda interesting in compare it clearly states "bluetooth reception: NO" for the NW-WM1AM2 but it doesn't state that it can't for the NW-ZX707.

Does anyone have experience using the ZX707 as a bluetooth receiver?
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 11.13.59 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back