Which ~$300 Chinese DAC/Amp?
Aug 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

akdmx

Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a desktop DAC/Amp combo for use with my Grado RS2-i's and MBPro as source (connected via USB).  True to Grado style, I favor a lively exciting sound signature with lots of presence and articulation.

In the running:
Audio-GD FUN
Matrix Mini-i
2009 Yulong Dah1 Mk II

Is there a clear winner here in terms of value, or SQ?  What do you guys prefer?

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 16
There's also this model which looks very interesting for the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HLLY-DAC-01-24BIT-96KHz-Tube-Headphone-Amp-Pre-Black-/250584651706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Unfortunately there are very mixed opinions about their products/quality so do your research.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 16
I have the Matrix Mini-i and an Audiogd Ref5 DSP.  Never heard the Agd-FUN.

The Matrix Mini-i sounds good but not great, the sound stage is wide but not  very deep, even with swapping out many cables. The tone [once broken in] is on the warm side esp in the lower mids on down and the highs are crisp without being over exaggerated.  All in all a very nice DAC.

Comparing the MM-i to the Valab DAC for example I would give the Valab the win due to better clarity and deeper soundstage.  The MM sounds a bit muffled compared to my Valab, but the Valab has had a few minor mods. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 16
I have heard the Yulong and would definitely recommend it,I compared it against the Lehmann Rhinelander, the Yulong sounded a little coloured but was fun and had lods of power.

The Matrix mini-i would be a highly recommend amp on head-fi,I for one whave never heard it, but from reading around I have found it to be highly recommended, they definitely do awesome with the Grado's

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 16
The EF-2A

....and why does it have to be Chinese? 
confused_face_2.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
sound should not be measured, there's no instrument that can measure soundstage,timbre and other aspects of music.

Besides, you can't measure PERCEPTION....all the attributes you listed and indeed everything that makes music pleasurable is due to the persons perception.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 16
Maybe because right now Chinese products are high value.  Many people are starting to buy them and weeding out the better built brands.  Of those brands the price to performance ratio is still pretty high compared to US or European brands, ie other well established brands around the world.

Brands like Xindak and Audiogd come to mind.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Maybe because right now Chinese products are high value.  Many people are starting to buy them and weeding out the better built brands.  Of those brands the price to performance ratio is still pretty high compared to US or European brands, ie other well established brands around the world.

Brands like Xindak and Audiogd come to mind.

Good points.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 16
Isn't thread drift wonderful?

All DACs don't sound alike, but they should. Seriously. A DAC is a source. Its job, its only job, is to convert digital data to an analog waveform that looks exactly like the analog waveform that was originally converted to digital data. It shouldn't have an analog output stage designed to be a tone control that attempts to make the resulting signal sound warmer, or more "musical" or, God forbid, more analog. It should be transparent. And it is all based on a pretty mature technology that has reached the point where most competently-executed DACs that are not deliberately attempting to change the tone will sound very much alike. If you're hearing clearly audible differences between a Benchmark, Lavry and Apogee (three of many competently-executed examples) you may be the one hearing what you read -- what you read on audiophile web sites -- or you may be hearing something amiss.

With that said, there are many "high-end" DACs that sound different, but they do so deliberately, and typically in the analog output stage. Are they wrong? Not if you like the sound better, but they are unquestionably less accurate than a properly-implemented Wolfson or Burr-Brown or whatever DAC chip with an output stage that simply and transparently brings the analog signal up to line level. And that's something you can find integrated into AV receivers at Best Buy.

Tim

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I'm in the market for a desktop DAC/Amp combo for use with my Grado RS2-i's and MBPro as source (connected via USB).  True to Grado style, I favor a lively exciting sound signature with lots of presence and articulation.

In the running:
Audio-GD FUN
Matrix Mini-i
2009 Yulong Dah1 Mk II

Is there a clear winner here in terms of value, or SQ?  What do you guys prefer?

My vote goes for the Audio-GD FUN...

I have the Audio-GD Ref 5 DSP.  From what I can tell is that they are very well built, have a very good design philosophy, are honest and straight forward about what to expect from the product, and from reading numerous posts about the FUN people seem to be very satisfied.  I know I love the Ref 5.  Matrix Mini sounds good but not great, I use mine with a small laptop via USB.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 16
The only chinese DAC that's a good value is Essence STX. Better measurements than anything else under $500, built in amp, built in quality A/D. What more can you ask for?

Audio GD gear is intentionally colored, far from neutral, and tends to have higher distortion/lower snr. And full of snake oil terms like "acss".

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
There's also this model which looks very interesting for the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HLLY-DAC-01-24BIT-96KHz-Tube-Headphone-Amp-Pre-Black-/250584651706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Unfortunately there are very mixed opinions about their products/quality so do your research.

Looks like a Maverick D1 clone to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back