Which 3 Headphones To Keep? (Decision Made!)
May 4, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #76 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who knows, it could be a bit of both. I doubt both sets are broken, and I'd notice an extreme variation not due to the difference in baffles/passives, so it may be my ears? That would suck, as I'm a violinist.
tongue.gif

Well to me it is along the same lines as somebody saying the K1000 is too bass heavy, or that the DT700 is thin sounding. It just doesn't "add up," assuming you're using good amplification and fresh earpads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Fitz,
What do you mean by obscurity?

Also, how do you think the k400 ranks amonst current and older AKGs?

It has been my favorite AKG besides the k1000 and I feel very lucky to own one in fantastic condition. For me, it is hard to see why these were not more popular.

You answer your own first question yourself with "it is hard to see why these were not more popular." But the K400 is almost the same phone as the K401 (same drivers except for some early K400s, and some early K401s even had the same baffle as K400), and is in my opinion the overall best of the Kx00/Kx01 frame. I tend to prefer the AKGs using the K240-style drivers though, followed by the Kx00/Kx01 ones, and any of the varimotion drivers last, largely because of the treble artifacts that seems to be a side-effect of the new driver process (I think K501 is the only varimotion driver I actually like).

May 4, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #77 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Fitz,
What do you mean by obscurity?

Also, how do you think the k400 ranks amonst current and older AKGs?

It has been my favorite AKG besides the k1000 and I feel very lucky to own one in fantastic condition. For me, it is hard to see why these were not more popular.

That's what I like to read
biggrin.gif

I just bought a K400. Should arrive in a few days.

May 4, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #78 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well to me it is along the same lines as somebody saying the K1000 is too bass heavy, or that the DT700 is thin sounding. It just doesn't "add up," assuming you're using good amplification and fresh earpads.

Since you believe so strongly about it, I will have to purchase new pads, elastics, and maybe foam and then reevaluate the sound then. I wouldn't mind a little help figuring out how to disassemble them, if you would be so kind. I also hope it does not take absurd amounts of time for parts to be sent to me as I've been reading, because I am not that patient, and may just give up on them.

May 4, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #79 of 116
Last month, I got a call from Frank at AKG asking if I still wanted my ear pads that I ordered 14 months earlier
rolleyes.gif
AKG customer service is not for those who lack patience. I ended up ordering ear pads off of eBay that work pretty well.

May 5, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #80 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last month, I got a call from Frank at AKG asking if I still wanted my ear pads that I ordered 14 months earlier
rolleyes.gif
AKG customer service is not for those who lack patience. I ended up ordering ear pads off of eBay that work pretty well.

I'm amazed you got a call at all. When they were in the middle of doing the changeover (which was when ordering parts was at its worst), Frank was telling me that any orders in the old system were pretty much invisible (don't get ordered into stock, and don't get fulfilled when stock is available) unless you specifically searched and pulled up that order. I gave him the invoice numbers for all the orders I still had parts backordered, and stuff started coming in shortly afterwards. This was a few months ago I think. I guess they found a way to get them to migrate properly without having to do it manually like this.

May 6, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #82 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anywhere else to get AKG parts?

yes, here: Thomann Cyberstore

May 11, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #83 of 116
Does the foam that lines the inside of the sextetts affect the sound? Mine is all deteriorated and gross, but so far I haven't had the chance to get in there...or the guts
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #84 of 116
Maybe a bit off topic, but anyway;
partly due to the promoting of Fitz, I just bought myself K 290 surround including the switchbox for 45 euros. (about $ 70,-). I only needed the adaptor (8-pins mini DIN to 6.3 mm jackplug) to try them out in Stereo mode (the seller lost that).
Ordered at the official AKG parts seller, this item will set me back another 41.15 euros! ($ 64,-).

May 14, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #85 of 116
Just an interesting piece of information... I still have several headphones left to sell, but so far I've spent $228.43 on postage to ship what I've already sold.
eek.gif

May 15, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #86 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrillmetoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a bit off topic, but anyway;
partly due to the promoting of Fitz, I just bought myself K 290 surround including the switchbox for 45 euros. (about $ 70,-). I only needed the adaptor (8-pins mini DIN to 6.3 mm jackplug) to try them out in Stereo mode (the seller lost that).
Ordered at the official AKG parts seller, this item will set me back another 41.15 euros! ($ 64,-).

Do you have a surround amp to try out the surround mode?

May 15, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #87 of 116
I'd say keep the K1000.
At the very least you can still look at yourself at the mirror and say, "I still have one of the best headphones around!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
"

May 15, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #88 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a surround amp to try out the surround mode?

Yes, I have a Yamaha surround receiver. Untill now, I'm underwhelmed. I have Qware surround headphones to compare. The sound quality of the AKG's is much better, but the surround effect is (as with Qware)... well... hardly there. I've heard AKG Hearo 999 which have virtual surround, and they produce a more believable sound field.
When connecting only two drivers in stereo mode it proved impossible for me to localise which drivers were active (the front or the back).
I'm still playing with them, so maybe this might change (a little).
As for general sound quality: I mostly use W1000's and compared to these, the AKG's are 'honky'. I guess when you use these (or other AKG's in general like Fitz) as reference, W1000 will sound 'lean'.

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #89 of 116
With all the flip-flopping on trying to decide between the K401 and K501, I decided to renege on my original decision to let other people have my K400s and K500s. I had to find one to buy since I'd already sold them, but that proved easier than I expected.

With that done, I'm now able to present the final three AKGs that are going to stay: K240 Sextett, K1000, and K400.

So after 2 1/2 years of trial and error, going through several dozen headphones and cycling thousands of dollars in and out, these are the three that made the final cut and are staying. This is where you'd expect me to say so long and thanks for all the fish, and promise to disappear with my wallet firmly closed or something, but that's not gonna happen. I still have a custom stand for these three in the works with Steve (swt61), a custom amplifier to be finished if I ever get around to it, need to find a better CD player, spank Kirosia some more, etc.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #90 of 116
Fitz, which version of the Sextett did you keep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back