Which ~$200 IEM?
Dec 29, 2017 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

taxidrivr

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a ~$200 universal IEM mostly to be used on an unamped iPhone 6s that's slightly warm, maybe a little dark with strong yet clean bass/sub-bass presence. good separation, wide soundstage with upper-mids brought slightly forward as some bands like Cocteau Twins sound buried/veiled. Think detailed, smooth, and lush.

Genres incl trip-hop/downtempo, shoegaze, hip-hop, electronic, house, techno, jazz. Bands of note - Massive Attack, Slowdive, Air, MBV, EBTG, Warpaint

Have SRH-1540's at work which I love. A long warranty period (like RHA and Periodic) is a huge addition.

Running list as of now:
  • 1-More Quad Drivers
  • RHA T20/10
  • Sony MDR-7550
  • Master & Dynamic ME05
  • NAD HP-20
  • Beoplay H3
  • Periodic Titanium
  • B&W C5
  • HiFiMan RE-600s
Anything else to consider? Something to cross off?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Well I have the Quad and Triple drivers and a few others but not at the higher price that you are looking at. Just got the Quads for Christmas from my wife as I got the Triples last year and they are both good but the Quads just kick it up a notch. The bass is just a notch better and the high end and soundstage is also better. The Triples are warmer but the Quads are not sibilant at all though. Running thru a bunch of the songs I think are bright and still don’t think they are what I would I call bright. Listened to the Cocteau Twins and find them on the brighter side but not crazy bright. If you want them veiled then won’t be hearing them. That is your choice but they do have a treble centric sound.

Dec 30, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 7
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1, easy. It's all metal construction, comes with two cables, tons of eartips. It's neutral with good bass, clean mids and great highs. Wide soundstage and great imaging. It's only 170 on amazon right now but performs at a much higher price-point. You should consider it.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 7
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1, easy. It's all metal construction, comes with two cables, tons of eartips. It's neutral with good bass, clean mids and great highs. Wide soundstage and great imaging. It's only 170 on amazon right now but performs at a much higher price-point. You should consider it.

fwiw, ideally I'd prefer a set that could be worn both straight down instead of over-ear as I've had fitment/comfort with Shures in the past ended up returning. might be willing to try another brand, but the P1's seem to only be worn over-ear

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 7
fwiw, ideally I'd prefer a set that could be worn both straight down instead of over-ear as I've had fitment/comfort with Shures in the past ended up returning. might be willing to try another brand, but the P1's seem to only be worn over-ear
Actually, the P1's can be worn three different ways, two of which are straight down. And besides that, the P1 are much more comfortable over ear than Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back