1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Which 2.0 setup?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by norca, Jan 2, 2013.
  1. NorCa
    Hey guys, I want to upgrade my audio setup for speakers. I need a headphone out aswell, I'm not gonna be able to use my Xonar ST, unless you really think is not worthy and I should definitely keep my sound card.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

2. MagnaCumLaude
    Quote:
    Okay, what is your budget?  If you don't have one you can spend as much as $100,000+ on speakers.  (I don't think you are looking at that price range...maybe not).  Also, I am confused with your sound card situation...you are planning on not using your sound card?  What is your source going to be?

3. NorCa
    I'm gonna buy the Silverstone SG-05 (mini-itx), so no room for sound card. I have around $800 but I would really really REALLY like to spent less. My source will be my computer. I've been also considering Audioengine D1 - A5+. I want something decent that makes me want to keep it for a couple of years or more, not $90 that I will change pretty soon and become useless on my closet :wink:

4. MagnaCumLaude
    Okay, makes sense.  A couple more questions: The Audioengine A5+ is a bookshelf speaker.  Would you like bookshelf speakers or floorstanding speakers.  I like floorstanding speakers better but its up to you.  Also, would you like your speakers to be active or passive? 

MCL

5. NorCa
    Bookshelf, I like passive a little more. Sounds better to me paying $300 for a passive than $300 for an active (part of the price is the amp, not all on speaker quality). I'd love to find some stereo receiver like the HK3490(includes DAC - toslink input) a little cheaper, $440 just for receiver will hurt my speaker budget a lot.

6. MagnaCumLaude
    Quote:
    They way I look at it, a receiver will probably last me a long time so I don't mind spending extra money on that.  Speakers will come and go due to wear and tear, music interests, space changes, etc.  Although I have never seen or owned the HK3490, it looks good and from the reviews, I would buy it.  Also, the Klipsch - Icon 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers look pretty good for their price.  I will have to throw in a disclaimer...I have never owned or heard any of these products but based on my research, I would purchase these two items.  I generally stay away from bookshelf speakers but, hey, I might someday.   

Good Luck, MCL