Whew! Fixed my D303......I hope
Nov 8, 2003 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tbdoah

500+ Head-Fier
I recently landed a near mint gunmetal D303 on ebay, for the extremely low price of $248.75 shipped
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I was completely shocked when it didn't work! The motor would make wierd whirring and clicking noises. It simply wouldn't read the disc.

As the rage boiled up inside, and profanities started flowing freely, I took my screwdriver set and went to work.

Upon removing the screws and lifting up the PCB, low and behold there was the culprit. A loose screw holding the motor in place. Because it was loose, the motor sat crooked, and when it ran, it was completely missing the teeth of the gear connected to the slider. So, after nudging it back into place and tightening up the screw, I crossed my fingers, prayed and plugged the AC back in. It worked. I nearly crapped my pants! I was about to say, $250 for a DOA! F(sic) THAT!

I seriously hope that was the cause of the problem. I've rotated CDs, shool the unit, yeah it skipped, but it's working just like my other D303 did.

I sent an e-mail to the seller informing him of the situation, and hopefully he'll understand.

Well, just thought I'd tell you about today's experiences.

- T

Nov 8, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 7
good to hear you got it back up and working. But...... did the description of the auction said it was in perfect working condition or did you had the chance to ask the seller? If the seller stated is was in perfect working condition either on the auction or to you, personally, I would seriously consider sending that unit back for a refund as who knows how long that screw is going to hold on in place, and that is a hefty price for a shady unit

my 0.03 cents, take tare T

Nov 8, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
I sent an e-mail to the seller informing him of the situation, and hopefully he'll understand.
- T

Something like: "Dear sir, I wish to inform you that the piece of (formerly) space junk which you cunningly advertised as NOT TESTED (since the adapter made a mysterious dissappearance) has been restored to it's full sonic glory by the application of maintenance so basic that even a one-armed child could have performed it..... " ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 7
Juan,

Naw, it didn't. It just said excellent condition, but there was a pic where the unit's lcd clearly reads playing.

DiamondView, hey, I am a child!

Nov 8, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
Juan,

Naw, it didn't. It just said excellent condition, but there was a pic where the unit's lcd clearly reads playing.

DiamondView, hey, I am a child!

Aren't we all ? But at least you have both your arms (I hope).
Ah yes, the "excellent condition". I also picked up one of those 303's recently, and luckily it was also able to play disc's after minimal effort. 33 posts - I've definately been here too long.
600smile.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 7
Hey T,

well, I'd recommend that you monitor the D-303 for a few days of frequent use. I think it's a good thing you already contacted the seller and gave him a "heads-up" on the status of the player. These items are old, and in all honesty, one never knows when they are just going to stop working. But for a D303, it may be very well worth the trouble, if it is in good overall condition.

take care

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Diamond, indeed we all are kids on the inside. Except on the outside, I still am (hey, I'm almost 15 ;P) a kid!

J, I told the seller in the e-mail that I will be monitoring the unit closely over the next week, and if the problem persists I'm going to ask for a refund. It only has two small scratches on the lid, that's it. The 11 year old "Push to Open" sticker is still on the unit.

Anyway, the screw is very, very tight now, I nudged the motor and it didn't move a wink.

I've also charged a battery, and hooked it up to my CMoy for times sake and played two full cds. So, I'm hopeful
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, has anybody else ever opened up their D303? God that is one tricky little thing. I just wanted to know if any modding is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back