Where's the bass?
Sep 18, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #32 of 39
I think HD 650 has great bass but Darth Beyers are IT. $400+ is not cheap but worth it for great bass. I can't imagine anyone wanting more (quality) bass than what the DB can deliver if properly amped.

I never EQ my Darths but use an Aphex 204 on every other can I have. For $200 it's a fun toy and it'll pump it up without sounding overloaded/distorted. It also can tweak mids/treble.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #33 of 39
I have a dynamic filter very similar to SoundSoap, it really doesn't work much at all below about 200 hz or so.

I've also used Reafir, a very powerful FFT processing tool that comes with Reaper but has now been released as a stand alone VST plugin.

You can get all the Rea standalone plugins here.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=166850

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #34 of 39
SoundSoap has a checkbox you can check to have it filter rumble along with the noise. You might check the settings on your plugin and see if it has one too.

See ya
Steve

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #35 of 39
That's interesting about SoundSoap, I'll check it out..

Fat ass Width is not a bass enhancer but more of an ambience enhancer.

Try the EDGE as well as Width..

You can get a very nice freeware VST plugin spatial enhancer here, if you like Width, I'd give this one a try.

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #36 of 39
To my ears, Denon D5000s have the most authentic bass I've heard. I love 650s, but find their bass to be lacking.

Side note: I agree that there's something odd about the Sinatra recordings. I remember thinking at first that the Bob Norberg remasters sounded fantastic---horns, for example, have impact that you don't typically hear in recordings from the 50s. But when I listened closer there seemed to be some instruments didn't sound as natural as they could.

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #37 of 39
I have 595's too and found switching from using the amp in the EMU 0404 USB to an Audilab 8000A amp greatly improved the bass for me. I don't use any software equalizers or "enhancers" either and I play the amp flat.

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #38 of 39
There's also the factor of impedance. The 595's being alot harder to drive at 50 Ohms, whereas the 650's are 300 Ohms. Your low frequency cut-off is going to be VERY different and perhaps the MisterX XP isn't really rated to drive low-impedance headphones. I don't know, I couldn't find any information on the MisterX XP other than people saying, "Oh yeah it sounds great," type of stuff.

But this sort of thing is very obvious when switching amplification. I don't get hardly any low-end bass running my 24-Ohm headphones directly off my SbLive!--which it is not rated to drive--whereas outputting the Live! to an external amplifier allows much better bass. Same thing goes for running these headphones off my SB16, which IS meant to drive a 24-Ohm load.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also the factor of impedance. The 595's being alot harder to drive at 50 Ohms, whereas the 650's are 300 Ohms.

Umm, opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back