Where's The AKG K601 Review Thread?
Jan 23, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by webzeb
It may also depend on what they're looking for or on their habits.
wink.gif

i agree - but i couldn't let that stand as some sort of "typical opinion" leading innocents astray
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by webzeb
I live in Europe and I've contacted Todd by email last week (18/01) to know if he would accept to ship to France...and he never answered.

In my experience it takes several attempts to get an email reply from Todd. I think he must delete a lot of legitimate email as junk. The alternative is that he intentionally doesn't answer emails, even for people trying to order or get support for a previous order. I hope that's not the case. Maybe he's just lonely and like to chat with customers on the phone.
confused.gif
For customers outside the US that's probably not a good option, and even in the US email should be a viable option for anyone who doesn't want to play phone tag.

I guess you'll have to decide whether the aggravation of trying to get a response from Todd, and the potential problems with import duties and shipping make it worthwhile to keep trying.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
i agree - but i couldn't let that stand as some sort of "typical opinion" leading innocents astray
biggrin.gif

lol

More seriously I think (even if I don't do it often
biggrin.gif
) that's it's important to comment upon headphones in an explicit context : what we're looking for, which headphones we refer to, etc.

Fred

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by trbl
In my experience it takes several attempts to get an email reply from Todd. I think he must delete a lot of legitimate email as junk. The alternative is that he intentionally doesn't answer emails, even for people trying to order or get support for a previous order. I hope that's not the case. Maybe he's just lonely and like to chat with customers on the phone.
confused.gif
For customers outside the US that's probably not a good option, and even in the US email should be a viable option for anyone who doesn't want to play phone tag.

I guess you'll have to decide whether the aggravation of trying to get a response from Todd, and the potential problems with import duties and shipping make it worthwhile to keep trying.

just call him. He's pretty inconsistent with emails but phoning always clears things up immediately. Not sure why he's so inconsistent with emails though...

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by trbl
confused.gif

Ok, thanks for your help.

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
just call him. He's pretty inconsistent with emails but phoning always clears things up immediately. Not sure why he's so inconsistent with emails though...

As I'm French and my English...hum...sort of French-glish, it could be funny !
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_s
lol. And since we all have to learn french growing up, my fringlish is pretty bad as well.

surely you can muster up the words for "do you ship to france" though, je crois

I can even do it (very approximately) in Japanese.

K701 wa furansu ni kimaska.

biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #39 of 45
Well the bug bite me, I just ordered the K601's from Todd. I want something on the other side of the river from Grado. I love my HF-1's with Flats, but I am starting to be curious about something more mellow.

Do you think that this headphone will fill my need (being that I will unlikely think it is bright like some say, since I love the Grado sound)?
Either way they are coming, so I'll post some words.

Quick question, anyone compared the 'brightness' of the K601 to the DT-880?

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Well the bug bite me, I just ordered the K601's from Todd. I want something on the other side of the river from Grado. I love my HF-1's with Flats, but I am starting to be curious about something more mellow.

Do you think that this headphone will fill my need (being that I will unlikely think it is bright like some say, since I love the Grado sound)?
Either way they are coming, so I'll post some words.

Quick question, anyone compared the 'brightness' of the K601 to the DT-880?

Sorry, I can't answer...but I'm really interested by the comparaison !

Another quick question : I've you ever tried the DT880, and what were your impressions about it ?

Fred

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #41 of 45
Update:
Just got them from Todd. Burning in as we speak. These cans sound quite a bit better after 5 hours of burn in, than fresh out of the box. I have to admit they do seem bass shy and bright when you first play them, but after 3 hours then 5 hours, they are improving greatly.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #42 of 45
Out of all my headphones, these are the most demanding - synergy with amp is key, and amp being fed clean power also makes a difference. However, once the system is up to the task, these headphones are extremely rewarding. Smooth, detailed, fine extension, open sound. Flat frequency response - I use this for editing my needle drops. I've had these for a decade, and they still get a lot of use.

Under-rated from the time they were born, but they are standing the test of time.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #43 of 45
3854C1B7-D4AB-462D-AAA1-BD92A575D0E7.jpeg

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #44 of 45
Out of all my headphones, these are the most demanding - synergy with amp is key, and amp being fed clean power also makes a difference. However, once the system is up to the task, these headphones are extremely rewarding. Smooth, detailed, fine extension, open sound. Flat frequency response - I use this for editing my needle drops. I've had these for a decade, and they still get a lot of use.

Under-rated from the time they were born, but they are standing the test of time.
I was hoping to find a thread addressing the k601 power issue. I've owned them for years. Recently, I replaced the JVC JAS55 amplifier in my main speaker system with a Tripath, so I had a chance to hook up my K601 phones to it. Truthfully, I have always been disappointed with them, especially their bass. They always seemed under-powered.

Wow! When powered by the JVC amplifier, which I think has something like 65 watts per channel rms, the AKG k601 phones just feel right. Totally in balance and with a solid bass. No straining whatsoever. It's a completely different aural experience than with any of my other amplifiers. I own a Heed Canamp and a Wheatfield HA2 (Pete Millett-designed) and assorted others. Actually, the one that comes closest to power it is the Bravo Audio V2, which can drive my AKG k240DF, another hard to drive AKG amp.

I'm beginning to think that many AKG phones really require unusual power to function as designed. I can't tell you how often I read reviews of their phones complaining of anemic bass.

Right now, I'm happy with these. I honestly feel I'm hearing their capabilities for the first time.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #45 of 45
I was hoping to find a thread addressing the k601 power issue. I've owned them for years. Recently, I replaced the JVC JAS55 amplifier in my main speaker system with a Tripath, so I had a chance to hook up my K601 phones to it. Truthfully, I have always been disappointed with them, especially their bass. They always seemed under-powered.

Wow! When powered by the JVC amplifier, which I think has something like 65 watts per channel rms, the AKG k601 phones just feel right. Totally in balance and with a solid bass. No straining whatsoever. It's a completely different aural experience than with any of my other amplifiers. I own a Heed Canamp and a Wheatfield HA2 (Pete Millett-designed) and assorted others. Actually, the one that comes closest to power it is the Bravo Audio V2, which can drive my AKG k240DF, another hard to drive AKG amp.

I'm beginning to think that many AKG phones really require unusual power to function as designed. I can't tell you how often I read reviews of their phones complaining of anemic bass.

Right now, I'm happy with these. I honestly feel I'm hearing their capabilities for the first time.
Complexly agree, there are my first high end phones. They need a nuclear reactor for them to reach full potential. They really shine with classical music. Glad to hear that you are enjoying them. Thanks for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back