Where's State-of-the-Art today?
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

Its current revival is by adherents to the Cult of Vinyl, a format which is fragile and offers same the reduced resolution available in the 1960's.

Its replacement, which occurred in olden times, was by the more convenient but more expensive CD format. It also offers additional resolution.

am afraid that you are very much mistaken. There is no reduced resolution in vinyl of the type you assume to be. CD has nowhere the same level of resolution as vinyl.

Vinyl has 10-11 usable bits of resoution; CD has 15-16. I'm not mistaken in the least.

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 34
Apr 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Vinyl has 10-11 usable bits of resoution; CD has 15-16. I'm not mistaken in the least.

Pristine vinyl and half-speed mastering can manage about 12 - 13 on a good day, with medium loud rock/pop that is perceptually pretty quiet, its when the recording levels drops that you hit noise issues such as with some classical music, this is what made me go digital in 1984

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
Unless we're listening to live, it's recorded to a  device and played from the device or copied to some sort of media, like SACD, to play on a device. So, what's the best format/player to enjoy music today? I've been thinking about buying a new Sony 5400ES SACD player that will play multi channel SACD's. Will that kind of source component bring me a more realistic presentation of a live music performance than something else out there: perhaps, a turntable, analog tape deck,, CD player, Bluray player, or computer player?

I enjoy SACD and DVD-A. However, is it not that SACD and DVD-A production is falling? Will they pickup in the near future?

Which is the best source today to procure SACD abd DVD-A discs?

Regards

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Pristine vinyl and half-speed mastering can manage about 12 - 13 on a good day, with medium loud rock/pop that is perceptually pretty quiet, its when the recording levels drops that you hit noise issues such as with some classical music, this is what made me go digital in 1984

I must say that I am buying few 180gm LPs and after listening, for convenience (lazy DLNA playback), I am digitising to FLAC at 48Khz/16Bit. Is this a waste? Or will I be hearing the same as playing the LP?
Regards

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:
I must say that I am buying few 180gm LPs and after listening, for convenience (lazy DLNA playback), I am digitising to FLAC at 48Khz/16Bit. Is this a waste? Or will I be hearing the same as playing the LP?
Regards

The difference in data size between 48/16 and 44.1/16 is less than 10% so not worth agonizing about. I would not record anything at less than 16 bits as you will actually add a tad more incipient noise if you do so

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 34
Some science suggest there is no benefit to anything over 24/96
Science tells us that there is no point in going over 16/44 - adults can't hear anything close to 22kHz, and 96dB of dynamic range is far more than any music has and would require you to have the volume up at damaging levels to experience it.

I've been thinking about buying a new player which will play multi-channel. Will this get me state-of-the-art?
Multi-channel is not better sound, it's different sound. I don't really care for multichannel myself - I prefer a stereo presentation and spending my budget on two great speakers rather than five (or seven) average ones.

Yes, except in the very rare case where (1) the source material contains frequencies above ~22.05 kHz; and (2) the listener is capable of hearing those frequencies. Maybe I should have said extremely rare. Otherwise? You're right, of course.
Well I suppose if your dog is that invested in the music, maybe it's worthwhile investing in "HD" files/SACD that go above the redbook 16/44 standard.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
So,  would you say for the best sound today, I should purchase  music from HDtracks for playback from my computer rather than buying multi channel SACD's to play from a suitable player? I've been told by the experts on the matter that multi channel SACD's are state of the art today..

This is an honest question. My main music is on stereo but I do enjoy SACD and DVD-A multi-channel music. I download hi-res stereo in FLAC. Are there hi-res multi-channel downloads? If so where from? Anyone knows? Please give links.

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:
So,  would you say for the best sound today, I should purchase  music from HDtracks for playback from my computer rather than buying multi channel SACD's to play from a suitable player? I've been told by the experts on the matter that multi channel SACD's are state of the art today..

This is an honest question. My main music is on stereo but I do enjoy SACD and DVD-A multi-channel music. I download hi-res stereo in FLAC. Are there hi-res multi-channel downloads? If so where from? Anyone knows? Please give links.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

I'm not aware of any multi-channel music which is downloadable. Here's the thing. All music which we enjoy at home today is stored on something, CD, DAT, 1/4 inch reel to reel, compact cassette, SD, SACD, computer hard disk, whatever.  My question is what component device/media type delivers the best sound? My thinking is that SACD is still King but there may be other media/player devices which are out there thought to be better, like Blu-ray for example. I want to know where others believe state-of-the-art resides today. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
There never was a cult following of vinyl. It was the only available affordable format for many years, even finding its way in the dashboard of some cars.
Other more affordable and convenient formats replaced it as time went by.

Actually, prerecorded cassettes outsold vinyl.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:
A live show by the original artist, using real instruments and no amplification.

Perhaps. I should have "amplified" my question by adding "for reproduction of a stored musical performance". I thought that since this is the "dedicated source components" forum it would have been understood I'm wanting opinions about what sort of device for music reproduction is state-of-the-art today. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #30 of 34
Perhaps. I should have "amplified" my question by adding "for reproduction of a stored musical performance". I thought that since this is the "dedicated source components" forum it would have been understood I'm wanting opinions about what sort of device for music reproduction is state-of-the-art today. 

I think your going to find out that it's a matter of opinion around here. Vinyl has really taken a come-back from 08 when I joined Head-Fi. Still you have your CD listeners too. It really just depends what avenue you want to go down, both have their good and bad points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back