Where's headphone technology going?
Jan 9, 2006 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rauer

500+ Head-Fier
There's another thread about new headphone related stuff at CES. This made me wonder, what are the new or near-future technological advancements in headphones? Are all the new phone models just evolutionary and not revolutionary? What realistic changes have we got to wait for in the coming 5 years?

- Headphones with (only) digital inputs using more advanced signal processing and EQ? (Dirty words to many, I guess)

- Wireless phones with NO compromise in sound?

- Any new driver types coming?

- No sci-fi neural interface stuff, please.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
There's another thread about new headphone related stuff at CES. This made me wonder, what are the new or near-future technological advancements in headphones? Are all the new phone models just evolutionary and not revolutionary? What realistic changes have we got to wait for in the coming 5 years?

- Headphones with (only) digital inputs using more advanced signal processing and EQ? (Dirty words to many, I guess)

The first, at least, is here - Audio Technica has released it, and apparently it's really good.

Jan 9, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, Sony put out the Qualia in the hopes that it would be the ultimate Dynamic can. And look at all the futuristic stuff they put into it, it's pretty darn impressive. But in the end, I still like to go back to my old clunky HP2s or ancient STAX, go figure.

So to answer your Q, what's it going to take for Head-fi to collectively stand up and say "THAT was a good new idea!" when it comes to headphones? Dunno, but it might take a while to find out!

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 5
Headphones with digital inputs aren't likely to sound very good, since you'll be doing D-A conversion and amplification inside the headphone. Hello, battery requirements, goodbye, fidelity. I don't get that idea.

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Headphones with digital inputs aren't likely to sound very good, since you'll be doing D-A conversion and amplification inside the headphone. Hello, battery requirements, goodbye, fidelity. I don't get that idea.

Here's a link to the product in question:

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

I can't remember where I've read a review of it, but it was very favorably compared to a W1000 with a fairly expensive headphone amplifier out of a good source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back