where would you start as a diy noob?
Jun 29, 2007 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

midnite8791

100+ Head-Fier
I know this has probably been asked before, but anyways I am a diy noob and would love to get into it. I dont have much experience with soldering though I do have alot of wiring experience at my last job in the automotive sector, just with stripping and crimping, making harnesses etc. I am mostly interested in making a DAC possibly an alien DAC and was thinking that possibly making cables would be a good start but figured I would ask some questions. I would eventually love to make myself a millet hybrid as well.

thanks!

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 14
Welcome fellow diyer!
Just the fact that you are motivated, is really all
that is neccessary to get started diying. I would recommend that you search the threads for CMOY
amplifier builds as a starting point. The CMOY is a headphone amplifier. It is based on the design by Chu Moy, hence CMOY. It is the simplest design available, and is usually built in an Altoids mint tin, for the chassis.

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 14
Hey! You're pretty much in the same boat as me. I kept asking all of these seemingly dumb questions over and over...but everyone here is pretty cool and VERY helpful to get you started or just answering generic questions. So far, the best stuff a n00b can do is learn schematics, learn to solder, and of course just learn about everything you're putting on. There are a few great sites out there to help you learn schematics, and once you find an easy project like a Cmoy, or something similar...just learn as you go, and the next project will be much easier. Cables are foreign to me... lol. Anyways, here's a few links to help you get started.
smily_headphones1.gif

A nice beginner site...

Millett's site...awesome collection

Jun 29, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 14
I would start by building my own cables. First interconnects, then power cables...

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 14
i would recommend buying cheap (but good) wires and make your own interconnects or headphone recables. this will give you lots of practice soldering. if you have an ipod you should try to make your own ipod line out dock. soldering on those things are very frustrating.

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 14
i dont know how much practice a cable would give, as they're just soldering a few wires; most of a diy cable is in the braiding. you'd probably want to build a cmoy to build up your soldering skills; try to understand the schematic and see how things connect while you build it instead of just blindly stuffing the pcb as it tells you to, it'll help you learn more.

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 14
Ya...for practicing to solder...I recommend just making cables or you can do what I did last year and solder (26x2+20)x5 to make 5 arcade controlers made with a keyboard board thingy....26 pins...less than 1mm apart, and solder that to a terminal with as many pins...then solder 10 buttons (2 connections each) and clip them in the terminal...that was a huge pain in the ass...but at least i sold most of them.

Ya..after you are comfortable with soldering build a cmoy...and then move up from there....but I feel that the hardest part is reading the dam shematics which is why i like those pre designed PCBs...and just pop the parts in them...

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Get a medium or large Protoboard from Rat Shack & some 24AWG wire, and just start soldering all the holes with the wire. It's a great way to get lots of practice soldering through hole components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back