Where & what to buy in NYC
Jan 26, 2014 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rage038

Head-Fier
I'm going on a vacation to NYC soon and since prices in the USA are much lower there compared to where I live (Holland). I wanted to pick up some IEMs.

Now my holy grail in IEMs would be the Yamaha EPH-100, but because of their fit I can't use them. They just hurt my ears. Never had any problems with other IEMs tho. Also not with bi/tri-flanges.

I'm looking to spend about $ 150.- on 2 pairs of IEMs actually, I told a friend I would pick up some for him. He doesn't have any experience.

My music style is hip-hop, anything goes. His is rock I guess, think Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 8
1) Stay away from the small electronics stores scattered all over NY. If you see a storefront that looks like this, RUN AWAY!!

2) IMHO, your first and last stop should be B&H in Manhattan. The retail location occupies an entire city block. HOWEVER, do NOT try to go their on Friday or all day Saturday. B&H is run by Orthodox Jews, and they close down on the Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday).

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you, B&H it is then. And would you also happen to know some great bang for buck headphones. For instance the Sony XBA-1iP costs 99 Euros (135 dollars) in Holland but just 30 dollars at B&H.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 8
I really don't know - I think it would depend on the prices you see in Holland. I suppose there could also be items that go the other way too - like perhaps the European brands like AKG or Beyerdynamic. You might get better deals on those at home?

BTW, another couple of big stores that might be fun to visit:
http://www.jr.com/information/directions.jsp
http://www.adorama.com/help/mapAndDirections

Obviously, you should be careful with buying anything that requires A/C power to make sure it can handle whatever comes out of your plugs at home. Also, items like DVD players that might be region specific.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 8
2) IMHO, your first and last stop should be B&H in Manhattan. The retail location occupies an entire city block. HOWEVER, do NOT try to go their on Friday or all day Saturday. B&H is run by Orthodox Jews, and they close down on the Sabbath (sundown Friday to sundown Saturday).

I live in California and have bought from B&H (mail order) and even once had to deal with them about returning headphones I was not happy with, they were great to deal with and I would buy from them again.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 8
1) Stay away from the small electronics stores scattered all over NY. If you see a storefront that looks like this, RUN AWAY!!

I may be adding on to this thread a bit late but I concur with billybob_jcv. I have lived in NYC for just over 20 years but stupidly bought an item from one of these types of shops a couple of years ago. I had to return it and instead of giving me my money back (seriously??) they gave me a store credit instead. I was therefore forced to get something of equally poor quality. Lesson learned!

I too heartily recommend B & H.

I've always had good luck and great service at Adorama and J&R.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 8
As an fyi, I saw this thread just now about buying headphones in the city and unfortunately there aren't many shops that sell good equipment and even then, they are popular models:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608548/any-good-headphone-stores-near-nyc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back