Where to try out phones...?
Jul 6, 2007 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Neph

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I've searched around the website but couldn't find anything. I've lurked for ages, and I've read a lot of threads, prepping myself for my first Hi-Fi purchase: the Sennheiser HD-595.

I listen to an extremely broad range of music: Trance/Electronica/Techno/whatever you want to call it, Classical (mostly solo or concerto), jazz (big band, Latin stuff, trios, etc.), rock/metal, and pop music. I'm also a gamer. The stage presence of the phones is a plus (for gaming), but I just like to enjoy the in game music at the best sound quality.

I've read through the HD-595 appreciation thread and I'm pretty confident that these are the ones for me. I own a pair of HD-497 Sennheisers and I have to say that I'm hooked on the comfort of the circumaural design with the oblong shape. I could literally wear those phones for hours and never really feel all that fatigued (short of wiping off sweat every now and then).

Anyhow, I'm currently living a few hours from Dallas, TX and I was trying to find some store where I can try these out. I'm fairly paranoid about buying expensive stuff online without trying it first. I'm sure many of you will attest that this is unnecessary, and I'd like to hear it, since I'm on the cusp of just buying them anyways. But if there is some dealer near Dallas where I can try a pair, I'd love a little guidance.

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Sorry to say, but there are really few stores that even have Hd-595s (let alone demo ones.)

Most people had to buy headphones before they actually listen to them, since 90%+ of them are not in local stores.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 8
You could try some of the sponsors like Headroom and Todd the Vinyl Junkie. I believe both offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Personally I've been buying from Headroom for a while. There staff is very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. There has been some headphones that I've brought like the HD595s from them and ended up returning. The only problem is I usually get the higher end model like the HD650s
tongue.gif
. I've never used TTVJ, but my friend has and he's happy with them. I live in Hawaii and there isn't any place that I know of that has even mid range cans like the HD595s to demo. All the cans in my signature has been brought online and mostly at Headroom. Good luck on your headphone search in Dallas and online.

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Jaben lets you try anything before you buy in their mission to make you happy but poor. In fact they won't let you leave before trying. You'll have to come over to Singapore first though
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jaben lets you try anything before you buy in their mission to make you happy but poor. In fact they won't let you leave before trying. You'll have to come over to Singapore first though
biggrin.gif

What a crime!

Jul 6, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 8
nm.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to say, but there are really few stores that even have Hd-595s (let alone demo ones.)

Most people had to buy headphones before they actually listen to them, since 90%+ of them are not in local stores.

I keep wondering why this is. Does anyone have any idea? You can walk into a Best Buy or Circuit City and they have quite a few nice speakers and receivers and so forth. Their headphones are all bottom of the barrel. And I mean rock bottom. What gives? You can't even get the 555s at Circuit City around here. You have to have them order them.

That really puts a damper on things for those of us who utterly hate mail order. I refuse to order something that expensive, wait for it, pay shipping and take the risk that I might not like it and have to hassle with shipping it back
mad.gif

The main reason I haven't bought many high end headphones is that I can't flippin' find them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back