Where to test/buy headphones/amps in Japan (Tokyo)
Jul 1, 2008 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
Where can I try some headphones in Tokyo? I am interested in trying out some amps as well. Anyplace that is good and easily accessible? Any exclusive Japanese models that I should be looking into?

thanks

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 7
Japan eh? It's been a while since I went to tokyo, but I remember hanging around akihabara a lot. I havent looked for cans then, but you might want to try some audio-technicas (W5000, AD2000, ESW9), JVC DX1000, Stax, Sony SA5000, and perhaps Denons (if you haven't tried so already)

Jul 1, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 7
The most obvious place to check out would definitely be the Yodobashi Camera store in Akihabara. They don't have the best prices (pretty much the average price), but they do have a large selection that can be easily demo'd. I believe now they have listening booths with Marantz CD players and a large audio technica switch for amplification to switch between 6 or so headphones. Each booth has a decent mix of CD-Rs you can try ranging from classical to rock to jpop. The high-end booth with the Denon D5k and Audio Technica woodies has a tube amp there too; forgot the specific model it was. The STAX gear have their own booth.

Oh, most importantly....each booth has a chair.

As for buying phones at a good price...a lot of us stick with Fujiya Avic D-shop in Nakano Broadway. They also have a decent selection of used phones as well if you're really looking for a deal.

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 7
See Sasaki's Blog. He lists a few places to go check out. The two best are Fujiya Avic and Dyna 5555. Fujiya has a nice used selection and you may get lucky with a good score. Dyna is the best place to kick back and listen. They have a wide assortment of headphones in little cubbies. Just help yourself and then choose from their wide assortment of amps and plop yourself down in one of the comfy chairs and enjoy. Bring your own music. You will see an assortment of amps that are not around anywhere else. Not sure what to suggest. I have never checked out the Yodobashi in Akihabara, but it sounds much better than the one near me in Osaka.

Don't spend too much time indoors strapped to cans though, there is sooooo much to see and do. I am just a few hours away but still envious. Great great town. Completely bonkers. If you have never been, I will gladly give a few other suggestions via PM or this thread.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 7
great thanks. I will check out those places.

BTW, I have to go get my MP3 player exchanged at yodobshi camera. Anyone know how their exchange process works? Can I just bring it with the receipt and they'll just give me a new one?

I ask this because I'm not going to be in Japan for months waiting for them to fix it like Bestbuy does here in Canada....

thanks

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 7
I have definitely returned defective products for new and returned new for cash, but I am pretty sure that in each case it was in a short period of time. Not sure what will happen. I am having trouble with my SACD player that I got at one of the big department stores and it has been more than three months. I am going to take it back soon and see what happens. I suspect they will send it to the manufacturer and then let me know when it comes back. I will let you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back