Where to store digital music?
Sep 19, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 21
For home use I'd recommend a Squeezebox, then perhaps add a DAC later. Or if don't want a DAC then Transporter as the analogue stage has been beefed up. You need a computer or a NAS compatible with slimserver software.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please let me know where to find analog CD's
tongue.gif

Haha, I meant digital music on my computer/DAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For home use I'd recommend a Squeezebox, then perhaps add a DAC later. Or if don't want a DAC then Transporter as the analogue stage has been beefed up. You need a computer or a NAS compatible with slimserver software.

So then I can basically make the setup external HDD/Squeezebox/amp/headphones? The Transporter is way too expensive for me...the Touch seems best suited though. Not overly expensive (compared to the others) and has the optical/coax outputs.

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #18 of 21
No, the computer/nas is host service, the squeezebox is the streamer, and also stores your lossless music collection. You can use a DAP as source but then limited to DAP storage, unlike PC where you can have terrabytes.

itouch doesn't have digital output, unless you buy the $400 iwadia or the new $150 Onkyo dock

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the computer/nas is host service, the squeezebox is the streamer, and also stores your lossless music collection. You can use a DAP as source but then limited to DAP storage, unlike PC where you can have terrabytes.

itouch doesn't have digital output, unless you buy the $400 iwadia or the new $150 Onkyo dock

Oh. Missed that part.
redface.gif

But then Logitech's website says you can hook up a USB storage device too, so I guess I can use my HDD too if I wanted to. Wifi sounds better though. Less clutter. How good is its DAC?

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 21
I misphrased that, the squeezebox does not store your music, your computer does. But yes you can use your USB HD, put your music on that, connect to your computer, set slimserver to drive/path on the USB HD.

DAC in Squeezebox is all right. Not high end though.

Some people use itouch to control music, your computer is source, but seems quite a pain. Just switch on your computer/nas let it boot up, switch on squeezebox and ready to play.

Squeezebox software can be quite daunting but it's open unlike airport or sonos.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #21 of 21
non people hook usb flash to a netbook or something, you need a pc, or squeezebox or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back