Where to start?
Dec 23, 2021 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

chiron7

Head-Fier
I'm new to the hifi/audiophile world and to be honest, I have no clue where to start.

Historically, I'm an iPod guy and I love them for their simplicity, durability, portability, and long life. I have a set of Kennerton Gjallarhorns currently going through my iPod Touch and I'm wondering if I'm missing the opportunity to get even better sound.

With that said, I've been researching DAPs and DACs and amps and I can't help but feel a lot of it seems like and endless money pit in search of sound quality that isn't that much better than a basic setup. As such, I'm completely lost.

Do I stick with my iPods and get a DAC/amp? Or should I spring for a high end DAP? What can I expect from these DAPs if I spend several hundred to a few thousand dollars? Will they be as long lasting and durable as my iPods or are they quickly obsolete?

If it helps, virtually all my music is instrumental: classical compositions, movie and video game scores/soundtracks, etc. and it is all obtained through CD's or downloaded through iTunes.

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 23
Endless money pit is a shockingly good way to explain this hobby. Your headphones are excellent and easy to drive so I wouldn’t stress about your source much.

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 23
As said by the previous poster... How are you going to use it?

If for everyday go to, i do suggest stick to your ipods. With the noises around you, can't get a good sound unless you're in a descent setting...

Having said that, and have the money to do the plunge, want to upgrade in SQ/experience, and being as an iPod guy, suggest get a good DAP. And be done with it.

For DAC/Amps, if wires and dogles doesn't bother you so why not. But my advice is if you're thinking this route, better go with a good DAP. Much simpler. No wires, No plugging in/out, connection problems.

On my case I am using a DAC/Amp for another reason. Am using a smartphone w/ a good DAC/Amp (LG V50). Using it as my daily phone/music player. The DAC/Amp I use for trips where I can unwind in my hotel room. The DAC/Amp is very good sounding. If it was not, I might be buying a DAP already for reasons above.

Astell & Kern and Sony makes durable nice sounding and durable DAPs

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 23
I'm new to the hifi/audiophile world and to be honest, I have no clue where to start.

Historically, I'm an iPod guy and I love them for their simplicity, durability, portability, and long life. I have a set of Kennerton Gjallarhorns currently going through my iPod Touch and I'm wondering if I'm missing the opportunity to get even better sound.

With that said, I've been researching DAPs and DACs and amps and I can't help but feel a lot of it seems like and endless money pit in search of sound quality that isn't that much better than a basic setup. As such, I'm completely lost.

Do I stick with my iPods and get a DAC/amp? Or should I spring for a high end DAP? What can I expect from these DAPs if I spend several hundred to a few thousand dollars? Will they be as long lasting and durable as my iPods or are they quickly obsolete?

If it helps, virtually all my music is instrumental: classical compositions, movie and video game scores/soundtracks, etc. and it is all obtained through CD's or downloaded through iTunes.

The choice in your case would depend on whether you'd like to have just do-it-all product (DAP) that doesn't need anything else to get going, or a smartphone as your music storage from which you'd send data to a DAC/amp device. Which route seems more appealing to you?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 23, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 23
I appreciate all the replies, thank you!

@m-i-c-k-e-y I was briefly thinking of the DAC/amps/dongles but I get what you're saying with respect to just getting a DAP instead. I think that would be simpler.

@iFi audio I'd like to keep my music separate from my phone so having a dedicated device just for music and nothing else is what I'm after.

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 23
Personally I think expensive DAP's are kind of a waste of money since they are basically a compromise of a lot of stuff put into a small box which looses its value very quick because of the endless new versions every few months. The fact that they all have sealed in batteries which cannot be replaced by the user and the hassle it brings to replace them doesn't help either. I'd only inverst in an expensive DAP if the setup is intended for on the go but considering your headphone that's probably not the case. If I were you I'd better invest in a stationary setup that can be enjoyed for years or even decades to come :)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 23

With that said, I've been researching DAPs...
---

If you're using an iPod and have no problem using iTunes (unlike how I can't figure out how the hell I can manage the content because I prefer drag and drop, iTunes screwing up the library in my HDD, etc), I'd advise you to steer clear of the DAP. You're very likely to want nothing but to smash that thing against the wall just as much as I wanted to do the same to my iPod thanks to iTunes (except back then it was either iPod I can get repaired or some Creative or iRiver I won't find parts for, so I didn't).

...and DACs and amps and I can't help but feel a lot of it seems like and endless money pit in search of sound quality that isn't that much better than a basic setup. As such, I'm completely lost.

That isn't just the gear.

It's how much you expect and how much you can compromise vs what you can realistically get given current tech, your own use case, etc.

My purchases in the past decade were mostly portable audio because something screwed up (broke my IEMs, broke my phone, Android again has USB audio issues) while my desktop is still my Sennheiser HD600 and Meier Cantate.2. Even after I tried out a Focal Utopia with a new Cayin tube amp.

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 23
@ProtegeManiac This is a great reply, thank you!

I actually love iTunes and I'm in the process of converting all my music into Apple Lossless but it's taking weeks since there is so much. It's still fairly easy to get even the old iPods repaired too. I think I've moved on from the idea of getting a DAP. What you and others have said makes perfect sense.

I think I've already fallen prey to at least misaligned expectations with my Kennerton headphones. While they're still being broken in (people swear I need to hit 100hrs break in before they sound great), I'm disappointed to be honest. At nearly $1,300 I expected perfection out of the box but instead I've received a sound profile I'm not happy with. Perhaps I expected too much, who knows. But like you, I'm not looking to replace gear often. I want gear that I can buy that will last many years so durability both in hardware as well as software is important to me.

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 23
My advice is buy a relatively cheap dap. They’re great for hifi music playing. A more expensive dap doesn’t necessarily equate to a better sound. Another idea, start off with a relatively cheap IEM/headphone to get yourself started. Try one out that’s worth roughly a hundred bucks. That way you get your feet wet without breaking the bank.

Dec 26, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 23
My advice is buy a relatively cheap dap. They’re great for hifi music playing. A more expensive dap doesn’t necessarily equate to a better sound. Another idea, start off with a relatively cheap IEM/headphone to get yourself started. Try one out that’s worth roughly a hundred bucks. That way you get your feet wet without breaking the bank.
This is also an option. I did notice some DAPs for a couple hundred bucks.

Years ago I purchased a pair of V-moda headphones for $250. Strictly for home use, taken care of very well. Fast forward 5+ years later and the synthetic leather is peeling away, the logo wore off, the ear pads ripped completely causing the foam underneath to protrude, and the socket for the cable keeps cutting out sound unless I hold perfectly still. I assumed purchasing higher-end headphones, like the Kennertons, would solve the problem of durability but I suppose time will tell whether or not dollars spent equates to quality.

Dec 26, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 23
@iFi audio I'd like to keep my music separate from my phone so having a dedicated device just for music and nothing else is what I'm after.

OK, so in that case a DAP category is the one I'd look into if I were you. Since we don't make any, here it's best to follow adivces of folks who experiment with DAPs. Best of luck :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 23
Since you're converting all your music to an Apple format, I don't think it's advisable to get a DAP. Exporting an itunes library isn't something that's likely easy.

If I were you I would try out a dac/amp that's compatible with an ipod, see if that changes the sound for the better.

Dec 26, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #15 of 23
@daanh At this point my library exists as MP3, FLAC, and I'm about half way through to creating a lossless library so I've got multiple versions of everything :unamused:

@earmonger This might be the issue I'm having. Perhaps a portable amp to match with the iPod might help make the Gjallarhorns more responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back