Where to start?
Jan 17, 2017 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thyname

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

New to this forum, but not new to the forums in general.

I have recently rediscovered high quality audio and music after about ten years of hiatus (life got in the way, new family, kids and all...)

I just rebuilt my stereo system comprised of Bluesound Node 2, Rotel integrated, ELAC Uni-fi UB5 speakers, and SVS SB12 subwoofer

Been streaming my 700+ CD library collected over many years ripped in ALAC, as well as high resolution tracks from Tidal Hifi tier. Now with MQA on Bluesound w/ Tidal, I am in heaven!

Been trying Roon as well, and I am impressed. Can't wait for Bluesound to be Roon Ready on January 31, as announced.

Having said this, my wife is already complaining about loud music, although my "man cave" is in the basement of a three story townhouse. Worried about neighbors too.

Thus coming to this forum for some advice. What do I need to buy to create a high quality setup for headphones?

I already have headphones ( Marshall over ear) but not sure if they are good enough. I think they are good.

Amps, DAC? What about source? Tidal is a must as well as access to my music library. I really don't want to use any computers with the new setup (I am in front of a computer all day every day at work). I would hate to take my laptop by my bedside.

Have heard a lot of praise for Meridian Explorer2 but don't know what that is and usage.

Any advice is really appreciated!

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 15
Hi everyone!

New to this forum, but not new to the forums in general.

I have recently rediscovered high quality audio and music after about ten years of hiatus (life got in the way, new family, kids and all...)

I just rebuilt my stereo system comprised of Bluesound Node 2, Rotel integrated, ELAC Uni-fi UB5 speakers, and SVS SB12 subwoofer

Been streaming my 700+ CD library collected over many years ripped in ALAC, as well as high resolution tracks from Tidal Hifi tier. Now with MQA on Bluesound w/ Tidal, I am in heaven!

Been trying Roon as well, and I am impressed. Can't wait for Bluesound to be Roon Ready on January 31, as announced.

Having said this, my wife is already complaining about loud music, although my "man cave" is in the basement of a three story townhouse. Worried about neighbors too.

Thus coming to this forum for some advice. What do I need to buy to create a high quality setup for headphones?

I already have headphones ( Marshall over ear) but not sure if they are good enough. I think they are good.

Amps, DAC? What about source? Tidal is a must as well as access to my music library. I really don't want to use any computers with the new setup (I am in front of a computer all day every day at work). I would hate to take my laptop by my bedside.

Have heard a lot of praise for Meridian Explorer2 but don't know what that is and usage.

Any advice is really appreciated!

Overall budget? Can you use open headphones--they leak sound both in and out but have some distinct advantages over closed?

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 15
Overall budget? Can you use open headphones--they leak sound both in and out but have some distinct advantages over closed?

I am open on budget. I think my headphones (Marshall Major on ear) are fine. No?

Looking for a source and a "transport " to headphones. Some type of high quality DAC either built in source or separate. Maybe amp too? Have no idea. What do you guys use for your headphones Hifi setup? Preferably mobile

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 15
I am open on budget. I think my headphones (Marshall Major on ear) are fine. No?

Looking for a source and a "transport " to headphones. Some type of high quality DAC either built in source or separate. Maybe amp too? Have no idea. What do you guys use for your headphones Hifi setup? Preferably mobile

Sounds like you are looking for a DAP. A DAP is a mobile music player that you use to carry and play digital files like an iPod or an MP3 player. What are you looking for in your DAP? Portability is a given, pocketability isn't (usually they are like bricks because of the larger DAC and amp they contain). You can stack them (get a DAP and a seperate DAC/amp to connect to it for added power/quality) or you can get a standalone one that has the power to drive full sized headphones of lower sensitivity/higher impedance.

As for the headphones, you are the only one who can decide if they are good enough for you. If you like them then there is no reason to spend money to get another pair when you are happy where you are.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 15
Sounds like you are looking for a DAP. A DAP is a mobile music player that you use to carry and play digital files like an iPod or an MP3 player. What are you looking for in your DAP? Portability is a given, pocketability isn't (usually they are like bricks because of the larger DAC and amp they contain). You can stack them (get a DAP and a seperate DAC/amp to connect to it for added power/quality) or you can get a standalone one that has the power to drive full sized headphones of lower sensitivity/higher impedance.

As for the headphones, you are the only one who can decide if they are good enough for you. If you like them then there is no reason to spend money to get another pair when you are happy where you are.

Thanks for chiming in!

I have a very vague idea what a DAP is. Something like Fiio come to mind.

I will go and research them now.

Important questions on DAP for them to work for me:

Able to access my Lossless music library in NAS or PC?

Able to play high resolution tracks (at least CD quality)?

Able to stream Tidal Hifi ?

Integrated/ recognized with Roon (Roon Ready)?

Preferably able to play MQA?

Another thought I had is to purchase the cheapest Bluesound speaker (Pulse Flex), as it has headphones output, and I know Bluesound works on all the above, but not sure if through the headphones

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Most DAPs that you find here will be able to play lossless files (actually, almost all of them. I cant think of one that wouldn't), but very few have streaming capabilities. For those you will pay some premium $$. The fiio x7 comes to mind, but I haven't done much research there actually, you should be able to find a plethora of threads on that.

The rest of that just depends on what DAP you end up choosing. And if I were you, I would set a budget of some sorts. Head-Fi is great at emptying wallets (unfortunately it is too late for mine 
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 15

Looking at Audeze EL-8. Open-back. Can purchase them for $600.

Also at Sennheiser HD 600. $300.

Are the Audeze twice as better as the Sennheiser?

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 15
I haven't heard the Audeze EL-8s, so I can't say for certain that they are not twice as good as the Sennheisers, but I would guess that the difference between them is not as large as that. For most things, headphones included, the more and more you pay for something, the smaller and smaller the improvements get. For example, a pair of $150 headphones will be much better than a pair of $5 earbuds, but between a pair of $150 headphones and a pair of $300 headphones there will not be as large of a difference, even though the price difference is the same, and there will likely be an even smaller difference between a pair of $300 headphones and a pair of $600 headphones. Also, with both the Sennheisers and the Audeze you will likely need to budget for an amp and dac if you choose to get them. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 15
  Also, with both the Sennheisers and the Audeze you will likely need to budget for an amp and dac if you choose to get them. 

Not if I plan to plug them to a Bluesound Node 2, which has amp and DAC included.

Or to a Pioneer XPD-100R-K DAP.

Thoughts?

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 15
Generally speaker amps like the node 2 don't have very good built in headphone amps, so I would suggest researching that some before buying, but I don't have any experience with the node 2, so I can't say for sure how good its headphone amp is. However, the pioneer claims to work for 16-300 ohm headphones, so it looks like it would work for both the Sennheisers and the Audeze. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 15
  Generally speaker amps like the node 2 don't have very good built in headphone amps, so I would suggest researching that some before buying, but I don't have any experience with the node 2, so I can't say for sure how good its headphone amp is. However, the pioneer claims to work for 16-300 ohm headphones, so it looks like it would work for both the Sennheisers and the Audeze. 

Thanks Ethan.

Just a small correction. Node 2 is not a speaker.

I am not allowed to post links yet, but you can look it up yourself.

when you say "get an AMP and DAC", are they for use with a computer through USB port? I really don't want to carry a laptop around when I feel listening to headphones.

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 15
an amp and dac are for use with whatever audio source you are using, be that from a computer, a phone, a cd player, or anything else (except a record player, for that you would need only a phono amp). most devices don't have very good amps and dacs built in, which is why people buy external ones when they get high end speakers or headphones that benefit from them. I am aware that the node 2 is not a speaker, if it sounded like that is what I thought,that would be because I worded it badly. The node 2 has speaker outputs on the back, which is why I referred to it as a speaker amp. 

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 15
You can connect your Node 2 to Headphone DAC/Amp via Coax or Optical . Then plug your headphone to the DAC/Amp.
Find a good DAC/Amp within your budget, (I like Chord DAC/Amp ):smile_phones:

~ron~

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 15
a bit surprised nobody mentioned this yet but the bluesound node 2 actually has a headphone output so for a start you can use your headphone directly out of the bluesound node 2 and use all its funtionalities.

The DAC of the bluesound node is actually pretty decent so you dont need another source. If you later want to upgrade you can just connect a headphone amp directly to the chinch out of the bluesound node ... not really worth it though with the marshall if you ask me.

I'd say just go with what you have for a start. If you want to upgrade I'd first start researching about headphones.

Cheers and have fun

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 15
This might be overkill, but lately I'm using a node 2 to the RCA inputs of a Headroom Maxed out Home (Headroom stuff is a great deal now) and the results are excellent. I have a powernode 2i driving my silverline speakers with another regular Node 2 going to the headphone amplifier. It's nice to control both systems from one phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back