Where to start?!
Oct 19, 2013 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Roynsky

New Head-Fier
Hello all I'm new to this forum if it already isn't visible.

Pretty much I'm a new wannabe audiophile. I loved the change in audio quality when I went from cheap 20$ iPhone headphones to my Beats (Bash away, I know it's not good value for the price but I got it as a gift from my girlfriend and I thought they were great, which by the way they are).

Since then I became obessed with buying headphones. I would like to know where to start to gain more knowledge on the subject. During my next so called "work term" (In university atm), I would like to purchase a great pair of headphones. 

I've dabbled in FLAC files vs MP3 but with my current headphones I don't think I can tell the difference and the beats just have over powering bass. 

My goal in the long run is to have more general knowledge about headphones and what makes a pair good, as well as how to get the most from my audio as I love my music (well anything but country, hardcore rap and heavy metal). 

I would also like to pick up a great pair of headphones that I can use at home, price is no issue. Well I can go up to about 1500$. (Couple people recommending the 800 HD??)
And for my travel headphones I recently picked up a pair of Bose AE2w headphones and I love them.

For gaming I have PLYR 2 from SkullCandy which are excellent IMO. 

So yeah, thank you for reading this :)

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 8
I like bass but not to the point where it over powers everything. I also like listening to jazz and some classical music. I also like house, electronic and dub step (once in a while). 

I'm not exactly sure by what you mean about "driving" my headphones? 
I just started looking around on this forum and need to become just more experienced in this environment.

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 8
Oh, okay I see what you mean.
Sorry for the late reply, midterms and all are keeping me busy.

Most likely for the time being until I get more information on things like Portable Amplifiers and Desktop Amplifiers I'll be sticking with general laptop and iPhone music. 

Currently as I said I have my Studio Beats, Bose AE2w (Which I use for when I'm out of the house), and SkullCandy Mix Masters (Which I find don't cover my ears and kinda are open at the bottom?). I also have a pair of sports headphones that I use when I'm at the gym but I don't care about quality when I'm working out.

Thanks for the help.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 8
If you want to reach undisputed audiophile class for the smallest expenditure and greatest value, the HE 500 is your can.  It's currently $629 and 10% off here:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/The_HiFiMan_HE500_p/hif0001000.htm

The HE 500 givens you full, extended and tight bass, but not at the expense of unbalancing the rest of the frequency range.

For a more colored and bass oriented can in this class, the LCD-2 is your ticket for a few $100 more.

Both are orthos and need decent amps.  Absolute minimum would be something like the Schiit Magni.

Of course on-board computer audio and/or the iPhone will not do them justice.  You will additionally need a quality DAC (or a quality CD player with a quality DAC, etc.).

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd take the Grado RS-1i into consideration as well. It was my first pair of "proper" headphones after a pair of Beats Studio, and I never went back. It's good for hard-hitting songs with its forward and bright presentation. Bass is aplenty as well, so I'm sure that you will have no qualms switching over from the (usually) bass-heavy Beats.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 8
i prefer the sennheiser hd 650 over the hd 800 because the hd 650 has a warmer sound while the hd 800 has a more natural sound without many bass. the hd 650 is my first real headset after a beats wireless (horrible mistake :frowning2:) and its a HUGE improvement, a way more natural sound and it fits all kinds of music (and doesn't break :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back