Where to start with Gabriel Faure
Jan 4, 2009 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tim_j_thomas

100+ Head-Fier
Having received a fairly large selection of vinyl from a friend for free, I've been working through them 2 or 3 each night. I just finished this:

51cHgGLXWeL._SS500_.jpg

It was fantastic -- especially side two the Ballade for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 19 by Faure and the Scherzo from Concerto Symphonique No 4, Op. 102 from Litolff.

Any recommendations are where to start with Faure?

Thanks,

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 5
Wow, Faure is one of my favorites.......

I would start with his Piano Quartets....especially the first one which is performed and recorded so beautifully buy a quartet known as Domus who record for the label Hyperion (and audiophile quality reference label).

After that I would try out his requiem, either of Herreweghe's versions (both on Harmonia Mundi) are great!

Finally I would take a listen to his violin Sonatas.....I feel Faure's greatest work is his chamber. His Piano Quintets, Piano Trio and String Quartet are all amongst the best in the French canon, but his Piano Quartet No. 1 is my favorite piano quartet of all time!

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 5
I haven't heard the Domus quartets, but the quintets are very good. I also own a 4 disc set of the complete piano music played by Kathryn Stott that is very nice.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 5
For a start, get the budget-priced collection of his orchestral works conducted by Michel Plasson, plus a reading of his famous Requiem (e.g. George Guest/ Choir of St. John College). His chamber works are many and I've yet to sample most of them, but in addition to what DavidMahler has said, I think his lovely Cello Sonata (e.g. as performed by Paul Tortelier) is a must.

Jan 5, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 5
Gil Shaham, with Arika Eguchi and Brinton Smith, has a beautiful album that includes the Violin Sonata No. 1, the Piano Trio and several shorter pieces for violin. There is a set of the solo piano music by Jean Hubeau that I enjoy very much. It is the solo pieces only and does not the include the Dolly Suite, a very popular work for piano duet. Berkshire Record Outlet currently has the LP of Katia and Marielle Labeque's recording at a very reasonable price.

My set of quartets and quintets with Jean Hubeau and the Quatuor Via Nova is out of print, so I can't recommend it. These recordings were orginally on LP, so if you should find them, they are worth getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back