Where to Invest in Cables - Speaker, USB, Optical?
Oct 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AngryGoldfish

100+ Head-Fier
For my incoming NFB-15, I will be using roughly 1m RCA speaker cables from the DAC to active studio monitors. I will also be using the included USB to connect to my PC for audio. For headphones, I will be listening to music, playing games, and watching films on my PC with the AKG K7XX, AKG K550 (if I can repair them), and the Fidelio X2, if I can squeeze them in to my budget.

For my incoming Audioengine D1 in another room, I will be running a 1m (roughly) Toslink optical cable from my HDTV to the D1, and a 1-2m USB cable to a USB wall charger to power the device. The D1 will drive headphones only for now, but when I upgrade my studio monitors I might replace my HDTV audio entirely with my current AV40's.

My question: Where should I invest my money in cables?

For the NFB-15, I'm thinking these. I've read that speaker cables will benefit the sound the most. For the USB cable to my PC, I'll probably just use the included one as I imagine Audio-GD are the type of company to put stock in the small things. However, realistically, would spending another €18 on something like this add any tangible benefits?

For the D1, should I spend €49 on a plastic and glass optical cable like this? Or would a bog standard 'Amazon' Toslink cable like this be perfectly adequate for Blu-rays, Netflix, gaming, etc? Also, the USB cable for the D1 will solely be for powering the device. Therefore, within reason, any length or quality should suffice, correct?

Cheers for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back