where to go? Upgrading from Audeze LCD-2
Aug 22, 2016 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gamerfry

Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I've had my LCD-2's for about 3 years, and  I love them. I've recently been promoted though, and would like to get an upgrade from them. I was wondering how the LCD-3 and LCD-4 compare to the LCD-2 and if they would be the best place to go for an upgrade. Obviously there are other options such as the HD800 although, I haven't tried them myself and from what I've seen on here, they seem to be about on par with the LCD-2. Does this mean that the LCD-3 surpasses the hd 800 and the LCD-4 surpasses it by a wide margin (taking into account diminishing returns of course). The LCD-3 and LCD-4 also have a huge price bump over the cost of the LCD-2. How much am I getting for each incremental increase? 4k for the LCD-4 is a lot of dough for one pair of phones, but I would do it if the improvement is worth it. So what do you all think? Thanks!

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi Everyone,

I've had my LCD-2's for about 3 years, and  I love them. I've recently been promoted though, and would like to get an upgrade from them. I was wondering how the LCD-3 and LCD-4 compare to the LCD-2 and if they would be the best place to go for an upgrade. Obviously there are other options such as the HD800 although, I haven't tried them myself and from what I've seen on here, they seem to be about on par with the LCD-2. Does this mean that the LCD-3 surpasses the hd 800 and the LCD-4 surpasses it by a wide margin (taking into account diminishing returns of course). The LCD-3 and LCD-4 also have a huge price bump over the cost of the LCD-2. How much am I getting for each incremental increase? 4k for the LCD-4 is a lot of dough for one pair of phones, but I would do it if the improvement is worth it. So what do you all think? Thanks!
Wow someone said the LCD-2's were on par with the HD-800's! That is not something that would come to mind for me. They could not be more night and day for me. The LCD's are on the warmer side and it doesn't get too much more bright than 800's but in a good way. If you like the Audeze sound both the 3's and 4 are very good. I just think they are just too heavy for me. The 4 is a great headphone but just too heavy. I think Mr. Speakers Ether Flow would be something to look into. So much lighter and comfortable to me and sounds fantastic . It would be a different sound signature but hard to beat. Just putting that out there for your consideration .

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Consider the Focal Elear or the Mr. Speakers Ether Flow; Tyll at Innerfidelity just recently reviewed them and called them game changers for the $1000+ headphone market (along with the $4000 Focal Utopia), and I trust his opinion. The biggest thing with these new headphones is that they have a great sense of balance and dynamism, with no major flaws like most headphones over $1000 seem to have.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 6
I had the LCD-2 and upgraded to the LCD-3. In the end, I don't think the upgrade was worth it. They only have a marginal improvement in clarity, and I think the LCD-3 lost some of the punchiness that I enjoyed with the LCD-2.

I second tz's thoughts...

I have a pair of Ether Flows due to arrive on Wednesday, and from what I've read, I'm cautiously optimistic that they will send my LCD-3s packing. I also plan to pick up a pair of Elears to try out once they show up in the states.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 6
  I had the LCD-2 and upgraded to the LCD-3. In the end, I don't think the upgrade was worth it. They only have a marginal improvement in clarity, and I think the LCD-3 lost some of the punchiness that I enjoyed with the LCD-2.

I second tz's thoughts...

I have a pair of Ether Flows due to arrive on Wednesday, and from what I've read, I'm cautiously optimistic that they will send my LCD-3s packing. I also plan to pick up a pair of Elears to try out once they show up in the states.

You'll have to let me know how they sound!

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 6
I know this thread is 3 yrs old, but are there any new contenders to upgrade to?

I think the lcd 2’s are the end game for me. For today. I’ve heard great things about the focal clear and the lcd x as well. Any new opinions?

And yes, I plan on trying the ether flows as well

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back