Where to go to try out headphones?
Mar 28, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

elmo541992

New Head-Fier
I can see that many of the people here have quite alot of experence with many different headphones. I, being a high school student, don't have much money, nor do I have friends that have good cans, so I was wondering, where can I go to test out headphones? I live in the burbs of chicago, so anywhere in that range is cool. Guitar Center wouldn't have cans, would they?

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 8
Mar 28, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 8
Yea elmo I'm a Chicago suburbian too, and there is no where around here. Like Dan suggests, a meet is your best bet.

Aside from that, find an online retailer you can return items to with minimal loss, and do lots of research before you decide what you're buying.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Local stores maybe?
wink.gif

Or a Head-Fi meeting, if there are any in your area.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmo541992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see that many of the people here have quite alot of experence with many different headphones. I, being a high school student, don't have much money, nor do I have friends that have good cans, so I was wondering, where can I go to test out headphones? I live in the burbs of chicago, so anywhere in that range is cool. Guitar Center wouldn't have cans, would they?

I believe Guitar Center does, in fact, carry several lines of cans, including Ultrasone. Whether or not your local GC has much of a selection is a crapshoot, but worth a phone call to find out. You probably want to bring your own source (e.g., iPOD, portable CDP, etc.), as most of the sources at GC will probably not be anything near audiophile quality, and you need to start with a signal source you are familiar with.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 8
guitar center here in OKC carries a few beyer and audio tech. cans, if that's of any help

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry to be off-topic on this, but since this thread is here I thought it might be effective.

Wonder if its possible to create a sticky-type thread of locations that Head-fiers from all over the world know for a fact where they can go to test headphones. I'd start it but since I'm pretty new here I wanted to ask first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back