Where to go next for a balanced, detailed sound
Feb 21, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #16 of 20
I've had the chance to try the X2's as well and wish they were the right ones for me...

I don't quite know how to explain why they don't feel right to me but I would say they just sound too deep or distant with the soundstage.  parts of the sound are forward with others pushed back, not so much tone but spatially.

I should add that I'm using my headphones for about 65/45% moves and music.  For big sounding/action movies I liked the X2's, but still they felt off in the staging.

Next up for me is to try the T50RP MK3's but I'm still curious about the 400S and the K7XX/k712/K702.  The 712 seems like to might also be a good match but might be a tiny bit too dry.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #17 of 20
For anyone that has/had X2's, I discovered that the pads might be causing the odd stage for me.  I have a fairly narrow head so there is very little clamp and the pads aren't compressed at all.

Basically if I press them closer to my ears (without blocking the outside of the cups),, the stage becomes excellent and the mids balance with the rest beautifully.

Thing is, I don't know how to fix that since I can't find any pads that are thinner that would fit, certainly none that have the stock ring.

I tried stretching some HM5 pleather pads on, which worked but not quite as clean as just pressing the stock pads down on my ears.  Sound wasn't as good, no surprise there, but it did balance the mids better.

I would love to find a way to make these work if anyone has ideas.

I'm guessing that some of the mixed feedback I've read about the X2's might be related to my experience.  Those with a larger head/stronger clamp would have them compressed just that much more to make the sound WAY better than if they are not compressed/closer to my ear.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #18 of 20
Well I just couldn't justify keeping the X2's.  Even at the price I paid, which was just a bit over $200.

After more testing, even pressing the pads to my ears the sound wasn't better than my 9500's overall (certainly fuller though).

I bit the bullet and am taking a shot at the monoprice M1060's.  If those live up to the hype, that may be it for me.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #19 of 20
  Well I just couldn't justify keeping the X2's.  Even at the price I paid, which was just a bit over $200.

After more testing, even pressing the pads to my ears the sound wasn't better than my 9500's overall (certainly fuller though).

I bit the bullet and am taking a shot at the monoprice M1060's.  If those live up to the hype, that may be it for me.

I would be very interested in your thoughts on the M1060's. Did you mention you tried the MK3's in stock form before? I ask because I sold off my 9500's and the rest of my modest collection once I tried them, they were fantastic to my ears.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 20
Well to update, I'm returning the M1060's.  To my ear there was just something missing in the upper bass/low mids and there were other small gaps in the frequency that made them feel odd sounding.

They are very clear/precise and warm enough to be non fatiguing.  For music I liked them more but for TV/Movies the gaps in the frequency were enough to make them not worth keeping.

I can see why people like them though, they are much more clean sounding than most other headphones I've heard.

If the M1060's had the frequency of the HD600's and kept all the clarity and better stage I would have kept them.

Another factor is the reports of cracking.  I didn't see that on mine but I just didn't like them enough to risk a future .issue.

Whoever made the absurd choice to go with mmcx and a very short cable needs to be fired.  They are open headphones, not for portable use.  Longer mmcx cables are harder to find/more expensive.

While I don't expect anything else I find at the price to be as clear/precise, I'm still looking for something I can live with daily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back