Where to go from RS-1s?
Oct 18, 2005 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

magid

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently running my RS-1s through an RA-1 connected to an m-audio firewire audiophile. I mostly listen to classic rock (zep, the doors, hendrix, dyland, etc) and a lot of i guess indie rock.

I am really enjoying the RS-1s and they are great cans, but I feel myself lingering for something more. I am open to all suggestions.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 22
What do you feel you lacking, wanting to change or wanting more of?

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 22
What is the rest of your system like? Maybe a new source or amp would do you a world of good. Or maybe something as simples as a few vibrapods.

Vibrapods made a big difference in my system and only cost $40 CAD.

I find a fine scotch or craft beer does the trick when I am 'not feeling it' with my system.

Quality drink, good lighting, and a comfy chair have to be the best tweak ever.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 22
If you really like the Grado combo and can't quite say what's missing, maybe you want to try another source component for a while?

edit- omedon beat me to it, and not to entirely repeat omedon's message: maybe audition an Apogee MiniDAC with your Grado combo?

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 22
Source First- The Rs-1’s will hold their own when matched with a better source.

It’s like leap frogging- your RS-1’s are the top of your gear list. Improve the source then maybe consider a different amp then you’ll be ready for a new set of headphones.

Mitch

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 22
I think it's time for you to join Team Source-First
rs1smile.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 22
I've been using an RS1 through a Perreaux Silhouette, but I just got a used K1000, which I run off my main amp (an older Yamaha) and it's quite an experience. Far more neutral than Grado, but with it brings an astonishing soundstage to the party, enough to hold the attention of the most jaded Sennphobe:wink:

Andy

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by magid
I am currently running my RS-1s through an RA-1 connected to an m-audio firewire audiophile. I mostly listen to classic rock (zep, the doors, hendrix, dyland, etc) and a lot of i guess indie rock.

I am really enjoying the RS-1s and they are great cans, but I feel myself lingering for something more. I am open to all suggestions.

are you being seduced by the dark side of the fuzz? hehe.

Keep the rs1's if you like them, and get something that sounds different as well (like hd650's with silver dragon etc).

Yet, your source (and arguably your amp) can do alot more for those rs1's, if you are up for it, before you lay down serious dough on another set of cans, get your source upgraded.

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 22
i downgraded to the sr200 from my rs1/ra1 combo...and got some much needed golf equipment as well
smily_headphones1.gif

i agree with the earlier posts - try different sources and amps. i was quite fond of the modwrighted channel islands vda1/vac1 DAC combo into the ra1. it was rich, gooey, and smooth with crisp and punchy bass...

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 22
Was in the EXACT same situation and well started with the Apogee as my first upgrade (well worth it, one of the best purchases I've ever made in audio) and then went off the deep end and bought a new pair of cans!
rs1smile.gif

Trogdor

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 22
If you want to go up the Grado line you could get a PS1, while they are still available. Or you could get another headphone to compliment the RS-1, like a hd650, or dt880. What ever you decide on you should really consider up-grading your source to get more from the RS-1.

- augustwest

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Was in the EXACT same situation and well started with the Apogee as my first upgrade (well worth it, one of the best purchases I've ever made in audio) and then went off the deep end and bought a new pair of cans!
rs1smile.gif

Trogdor

That's exactly what my friend 1911 did - he's listening to his RS-1s with the Apogee as we speak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back