Where to go from Mimby?
Dec 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hikaru12

1000+ Head-Fier
I like the sound of the Mimby as it's much warmer and smoother than any DAC I've had so far. Reminds me of any old Cambridge DACMagic I used to have. I'm wondering where to go from here.

Right now I have the Mimby pairing with a Valhalla 2 and the HD650s and I love this combination. Just want a bit more detail. I plan on using the 650s as my end game. I have the 700s as well but I'm using it for a portable setup.

I'm mainly trying to decide between a Bimby vs Gumby. I have a budget of around $1500 for a DAC but want something that pairs nicely with this setup. Thanks!

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Honestly I think a new headphone would be a better buy than such an expensive dac. The 650 has good detail but the 800 has the ability to offer way more detail even with a Mimby than the 650 will give with a new DAC IMO. I've heard the 800 on my rig and it blows the 650 away in detail. The Mimby and Valhalla would also be a good match to warm it up a bit also

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 9
The Chord 2Qute is a lot better than the Modi Multibit. Haven't heard Schiit's higher-end multibit DACs yet, though.

I'll have to look more into their offerings. I'm planning on getting the Mojo for my 700's myself. Heard it's a quite good pairing. I do intend on getting the WA8 for an off grid cabin for the 650s as it has a really nice implemented Sabre based DAC.

I've heard the 800 on my rig and it blows the 650 away in detail.

Perhaps I should have worded the OP better. By more detail, I mean more detail in the mid range. The 650s excel in the vocal range and not overall detail (which I'm OK with since I have the 700s currently and they do a great job with that - although too much detail can become fatiguing, especially if it's presented in a forward manner). Basically, I want to get the detail I get out of the 700s for the midrange, in that, I mean I want to be able to hear the artist taking a gulp, a breath of air, etc. I've heard the 800s for Jazz briefly and they are phenominial for multilayered music with lots of stuff going on.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Honestly I think a new headphone would be a better buy than such an expensive dac.
This.

The Audeze LCD X is on sale without carrying case for $1199 at their site, that's $500 off retail. The X is one of their's that can be driven by the OTL tubes you have IIRC.

I have not heard the X but the Planar Magnetic will give you detail in droves. I love the 650 too but I hear more detail in the $300 Monoprice 1060 Planars. I still prefer the 650, but I'm looking for an Audeze dealer to try the X.

Also, consider the Schiit Eitr USB cleaner / digital signal cleaner if you're using USB. $179 plus a coax cable is less than a new DAC!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 9
This.

The Audeze LCD X is on sale without carrying case for $1199 at their site, that's $500 off retail. The X is one of their's that can be driven by the OTL tubes you have IIRC.

I have not heard the X but the Planar Magnetic will give you detail in droves. I love the 650 too but I hear more detail in the $300 Monoprice 1060 Planars. I still prefer the 650, but I'm looking for an Audeze dealer to try the X.

Also, consider the Schiit Eitr USB cleaner / digital signal cleaner if you're using USB. $179 plus a coax cable is less than a new DAC!

I've heard good things about the Eitr as the USB implementaion even on Gen 5 doesn't compare to AES or Coaxial SPDIF. Let me know how you find the LCD Xs. I've steered away from the LCD 2s because of their quality issues so hoping to hear better things about their higher end models. I've definitely heard they are mid Kings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back