Where to go from hear(opening my ears to the world of portable audio)
Oct 22, 2004 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

r0b0bean

New Head-Fier
Having just become a member I am wondering how some of you more learned audio obsessives wisely choose your purchases. I spend quite a bit of time with my Sony MZ-NE410 and Senn HD490; I am tired of low level listening. What should I prioritize highest to get the most out of my $$$?

confused.gif

I am new to the idea of headphone amplifiers and don't even know if it would be worth investing in before I get higher end headphones...

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 7
I think you should look into new phones for now. Depending on what you get, then look into a source or amp.

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd also recommend upgrading your headphones. The Sennheiser HD490 is one of the worst headphones that Sennheiser came out with, especially in the $50~$100 price range. It sounds dark, boomy, muffled and grainy all at once - and it's so inefficient that a monster amp is required just to get any sound at all whatsoever from it. (To give you an idea of just how power-hungry the HD490 is: Even the HD580, HD600 and HD650, Sennheisers that are known to require an amp in order to sound their best, are more easily driven by that MZ-NE410 than your current HD490 to moderately loud levels.) In other words, it's the worst of both worlds - it requires an amp, and it sounds bad.

Oct 23, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Haha....

I can't run... but I can sell my phones to my younger brother and use that to fund a pair of new ones...(I don't think I really could do that in good conscience). I'd be willing to spend some good coin on phones (200-300 USD), but I need something that won't need another couple hundred dropped on an amplifier automatically. Should I stay away from Senns? Who do I run to?
confused.gif

What headphones give the best range for rock and hiphop/turntableism with minimal power requirement? Am i only dreaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back