Where to go from EX71's?
Jun 19, 2005 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

adnymarc

New Head-Fier
Let me preface everything I am saying by stating that I am just beginning my journey into the realm of hi-fi headphones and have little experience and a less than ideal budget.

I bought a pair of Sony EX71's and they arrived today. After using them for under an hour I have decided that they are just not for me. I bought them as my first step into canal phones and to replace the Sony 818's (I think) that I had been using with my PowerBook and iPod. For lack of better terms to describe it, i felt that the soundstage was far too compressed, the bass to exaggerated, and the overall sound too "mushy". These comparisons are in relation to the previous earbuds as well as to the Sony XD400's that i just got yesterday and have been enjoying.

I thought that the EX71's would be ok for me until i could get something more expensive, but really cant stand them and far prefer the former $10 earbuds to them.

So where should I go from here? I am planning on selling the EX71's and had been considering either E2c's, E3c's, or ER-6(i), most likely used if I can find them. Please help with any recommendations.

Andy

Jun 19, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by adnymarc
Let me preface everything I am saying by stating that I am just beginning my journey into the realm of hi-fi headphones and have little experience and a less than ideal budget.

I bought a pair of Sony EX71's and they arrived today. After using them for under an hour I have decided that they are just not for me. I bought them as my first step into canal phones and to replace the Sony 818's (I think) that I had been using with my PowerBook and iPod. For lack of better terms to describe it, i felt that the soundstage was far too compressed, the bass to exaggerated, and the overall sound too "mushy". These comparisons are in relation to the previous earbuds as well as to the Sony XD400's that i just got yesterday and have been enjoying.

I thought that the EX71's would be ok for me until i could get something more expensive, but really cant stand them and far prefer the former $10 earbuds to them.

So where should I go from here? I am planning on selling the EX71's and had been considering either E2c's, E3c's, or ER-6(i), most likely used if I can find them. Please help with any recommendations.

Andy

E3c would be my pick. But ex81 is quite different from ex71,too.

Jun 19, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 9
I would go straight for the shures...you won't be dissapointed.

Get the e2c first because they can be had for relatively cheap and if you like what you hear, you can move up the "shure" line.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 9
stay away from the e2c if you really want some sort of 'upgrade'. to me and a few others around here, the e2c performs worse than some of the lower priced canalphones like the sharp md33/creative ep-630 and ex81. if you are looking for a more open soundstage, then you can forgo canalphones, because they will sound 'compressed' due to the nature of their designs.

Jun 19, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Save your money and get the UE-10. You're going to do it eventually anyway.

But if you really can't afford it, I wouldn't get less than Shure E4c, ety 4s etc ($200). That is the proverbial sweet spot in canal phones, I feel.

-Matt

Jun 19, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Save your money and get the UE-10. You're going to do it eventually anyway.

But if you really can't afford it, I wouldn't get less than Shure E4c, ety 4s etc ($200). That is the proverbial sweet spot in canal phones, I feel.

-Matt

You must be one real rich man

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 9
i was in the same position as you. i had the ex-71 for about 2 months. i really couldn't stand them. i went for the shure e2c. they can be had for 59.99. i didn't go for the e3c because knowing that i was going to upgrade later i thought that i should just save my money up and get something a lot better, like the e5c or something.

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I guess the MDR-EX71 is destined to be the "redheaded stepchild" of canal earphones. I have the Ety ER-4P and ER-6 and find myself listening to the Sony's the majority of the time (with portable audio).

I'm thinking of ordering the Sure E4 soon just to see what all the commotion is about, but it'll be hard for me to put down the '71s...

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 9
My recommendations:
1. e4c
if they are out of your budget, though:

2. e3 or er6i
I've only heard the e3c very briefly, but I have the er6i.
The er6i's are great, and I think they are a bargain now (at buy.com). The e3c's seemed pretty good to me, even though I didn't get to critically listen to them. They are a big step up from the e2c, IMO, though. I would skip over the e2c; I just didn't like them that much when I had them, and I think the er6i's are sonically superior.
Between ther e3 and er6i, it depends on which signature you would like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back