Where to go from AKG K340.
Feb 9, 2010 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MayorSimpleton

100+ Head-Fier
I recently returned from the wilderness and bought another pair of HD600's and thought I was home. Then on a whim I picked up a pair of K340's from the sales corner here - out of curiosity more than anything - wasn't expecting to like them. Turns out I love them. I love the 3D imaging, the soundstaging, the silky mids, the warmth, the complete lack of any hard edges - pretty much everything about them. They're not perfect, the bass is not as tight and defined as my HD600's although there is more of it, and if you were to get technical about it, there's probably a bunch of stuff you could accuse them of. But there's just something about them - everything just sounds so lovely and 'analogue' through them!

So, I know they are an unusual design, what with the electrets etc, but if I wanted more of the same but in newer headphone, where do I go? Is there anything similar?

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 11
How about an AKG K1000?
wink.gif

All the K340 can deliver and then some. From what I can remember that is.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 11
I can tell you where I went from the K340: orthos and 'stats. And the K1000.

The most cost effective solution is just to mod your K340 a bit to tighten up the bass. If you are curious, I can list out my mods, which are simple and reversible.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 11
Mine are already done - recabled - restuffed, new elastic, velour etc. Plus I think I have the 'bass heavy' version - although don't know for sure.

So the K1000 have a similar signature to the K340 do they?

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt-Pluck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not perfect, the bass is not a tight and defined as my HD600's

"Tight & defined Senn bass" LOL, didn't think the K340 bass was that bad
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Mine are already done - recabled - restuffed, new elastic, velour etc. Plus I think I have the 'bass heavy' version - although don't know for sure.

So the K1000 have a similar signature to the K340 do they?

You might want to try one final mod, which is to damp the back plates so that they don't resonate. I used some weatherstrip but bitumen or even bluetak will also work. Definitely tightened up the bass for me.

The K1000 also has a bass-heavy and bass-light version, with the bass-heavy ones being earlier serial numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Ouch.
tongue.gif
And as I said above, it's the back plates muddying up the bass, whereas the Senns are fully open in the back.

Feb 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Well yeah as it happens - the bass on the HD600's, on my rig at least, is pretty much as I like it. No bass monster here -)

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

I recently returned from the wilderness and bought another pair of HD600's and thought I was home. Then on a whim I picked up a pair of K340's from the sales corner here - out of curiosity more than anything - wasn't expecting to like them. Turns out I love them. I love the 3D imaging, the soundstaging, the silky mids, the warmth, the complete lack of any hard edges - pretty much everything about them. They're not perfect, the bass is not as tight and defined as my HD600's although there is more of it, and if you were to get technical about it, there's probably a bunch of stuff you could accuse them of. But there's just something about them - everything just sounds so lovely and 'analogue' through them!

Agreed!

Quote:

So, I know they are an unusual design, what with the electrets etc, but if I wanted more of the same but in newer headphone, where do I go? Is there anything similar?

I know they are not new model either but I really like the vintage (1980's) Beyerdynamic DT-880 (600 Ohm) as a complimentary can to the K340. They sound the polar opposite (fast, visceral, transparent and rhythmic) with IMO equal level of sonic enjoyment to the K340s. I tend to swap between these phones throughout the 2-3 years I have owned them. My other phones (HD6xx, Sextetts, K601 and even K1000s -I'm still figuring out what the love is all about-) tend to be neglected.

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed!

I know they are not new model either but I really like the vintage (1980's) Beyerdynamic DT-880 (600 Ohm) as a complimentary can to the K340. They sound the polar opposite (fast, visceral, transparent and rhythmic) with IMO equal level of sonic enjoyment to the K340s. I tend to swap between these phones throughout the 2-3 years I have owned them. My other phones (HD6xx, Sextetts, K601 and even K1000s -I'm still figuring out what the love is all about-) tend to be neglected.

Cheers!

So it's not just me then!

I actually had a pair of DT880's a few years back ( not sure what vintage they were, or which version for that matter ), and I liked them a lot, but I found the highs a bit too much for me. Although my system has migrated toward a warmer sound since then....

Maybe we should lobby AKG to make a new K340 - I'd buy 'em
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

I actually had a pair of DT880's a few years back ( not sure what vintage they were, or which version for that matter ), and I liked them a lot, but I found the highs a bit too much for me. Although my system has migrated toward a warmer sound since then....

True that. I cannot stand them with the common velour pads; I am actually using the original worn pads they came with (link) which results in infinitely better sound.

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and even K1000s -I'm still figuring out what the love is all about-

The love at least for me is the fact it is almost completely uncolored and portrays everything that it is being fed, while still managing to make things sound alive and good. Also it has amazing impact and soundstage/imaging. The K340 is colored in that it has somewhat tubby bass which I have pretty much rectified and sometimes strident highs which will hopefully soon be rectified but it has the great AKG mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back