Where to go after NuForce IEMs?
Oct 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MaxRabbit

New Head-Fier
I'm deployed overseas and I "lost" my NuForce NE-700Ms. Before them, I had the NE-7Ms. As you can see, I am a huge NuForce fan, but they are not producing mid-end IEMs anymore.

Therefore, I'm in search of a new company of earphones with similar sound quality. I loved the way the NuForce's separated out the instruments very accurately and had good but not muffling bass. I also enjoyed that they sounded great at any volume. I would love to find some good IEMs with similar sound qualities.

I tried the Velodyne vPulse next and I am not impressed. Listening to the vPulse sounds a bit like listening to a subwoofer; the bass sounds like air pounding into your ears but the instruments and the voice sounds very far away. Additionally, it doesn't sound good at low volumes.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much!

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 9
I found my answer: Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iEs. Here's the review I posted on Amazon:

I had been a huge NuForce fan because of their spacious soundstage (being able to hear and identify each instrument rather than just a jumbled mess) and really fun bass. From acoustic to rock to dubstep, my NuForce earphones sounded really good.

Unfortunately, after I lost my NuForce earphones, I discovered that they didn't have any high-end IEMs on the market anymore. I had to begin a search for other earphones, and decided to try the Velodyne vPulse because I understood they had amazing bass, which I enjoyed from my NuForce earphones. These IEMs were less than impressive, because the "amazing bass" drowned out anything else. Dubstep sounded alright, but all other music sounded like listening to a subwoofer: muddled instruments and distorted, bass-like sound. They also only sounded good at high volumes.

Reading reviews from Head-Fi.org, I looked at the huge series of reviews from |Joker| on IEMs and looked for similar qualities to the NuForce earphones. I didn't know exactly what all of the sound qualities meant, but I noticed that many of the same key words showed up in the review of the Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE earphones as did in the review of the NuForce earphones.

Hoping for similar, awesome sound qualities to the NuForce earphones, I ordered the Beyerdynamics. To say I was impressed would be a massive understatement. They blew away the NuForce earphones with high quality, non-muddling sound. All music sounded incredible at low, medium, and high volumes. I nearly cried when I first listened to dubstep because it sounded so good.

I've had these earphones for about a month now and I still am constantly impressed every time I listen to them.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 9
I've been looking for replacements myself. I loved the way Nuforce sounded but all the build quality was not so good. The two Nuforce headphones I owned both broke multiple times within a year. So for now I'm using the Klipsch S4i with the Sony Hybrid tips. I'll have to check out the Beyerdynamics though.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I've been looking for replacements myself. I loved the way Nuforce sounded but all the build quality was not so good. The two Nuforce headphones I owned both broke multiple times within a year. So for now I'm using the Klipsch S4i with the Sony Hybrid tips. I'll have to check out the Beyerdynamics though.

I think you'd be really happy with them :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 9
Ha, they even look the same with the metal strap up against the cable. I love my Nuforce also but not to long ago the mic/play/pause tongle case popped open and I had to wrap some electrical tape around it to keep it together. I also will sometimes get a random shock to me ears when I have them plugged into a powered source like my PC, that happen to you guys ever? Nice to know that there is another great sounding (if not better?) IEM out there if mine ever die on me. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi MaxRabbit,

I too was looking for where to go after 3½ years of numerous nuforces (NE-7M, NE-700M). Their poor design upgrade & recent quality control issues has also forced me to move on. (Also a blessing in disguise.)

So I just wish to say a big thanks to your adventures & amazing reviews of Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE & Velodyne vPulse.

So spectacular and compelling was your description of Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE sound quality and comparison to the deficiencies of Velodyne vPulse, I've just put an order in as I too wish to have my own piece of nirvana!

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Hi MaxRabbit,

I too was looking for where to go after 3½ years of numerous nuforces (NE-7M, NE-700M). Their poor design upgrade & recent quality control issues has also forced me to move on. (Also a blessing in disguise.)

So I just wish to say a big thanks to your adventures & amazing reviews of Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE & Velodyne vPulse.

So spectacular and compelling was your description of Beyerdynamic MMX 101 iE sound quality and comparison to the deficiencies of Velodyne vPulse, I've just put an order in as I too wish to have my own piece of nirvana!

You will be very happy with the Beyerdynamic! Please share your thoughts :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the tip on the Beyerdynamic MMX's.  It looks like I can pick them up for $74 on Amazon.

I too was using the Nuforce NE700m's and was very happy with the sound and fit but had to replace them once and send them back once because of the poor build quality before loosing them at the airport.  

And don't get me started on that in-line Mic.  I would have expected that build quality of that mic on a pair of sub $10 ear buds.

There is an interesting note on NuForces website about an updated NE700 model with improvements coming out this month (Jan. 2013,) but I am not sure I am patient enough to wait for them.  They would have to use a heavier gauge wire and better build quality on the mic for me to go back.

Since the NE700's I bought a pair of Shure SE215's.  The sound was good but from memory I preferred the NE70's.  The Shure's were also a bit cumbersome to put on and take off quickly.  But build quality was awesome but the physical fit in the ear canal was was not as good as the NE700's for me.  Unfortunately I left these in a rental car.

A few days ago I got a pair of Klipsch S4a's.  Sound is decent but not quite as good as the NuForce or Shure's, though the bass is a bit better.  The problem with these is that the fit is horrible for my ear.  The constantly fall out unless I wrap them over the top of my ear.  So these are going to get sent back providing I don't loose them this week.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed on the Beyerdynamics.  Hopefully the fit is as good as what you have made the sound out to be,

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #9 of 9
Get Comply tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back