Where to get these rubber "things" to cover up the cable plug?
Feb 13, 2011 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Djankie

100+ Head-Fier
I soldered a 3.5 plug into a cable, but there is some space between the cable and the plug. I can use electric tape, but it gets messy. In the picture thread I've seen some using some rubber instead of tape. Where can I find these ? Thanks in advance.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 8
That's just a small tube to prevent short. Depending on plugs, some have it, some might not. Neutrik 3.5mm has a clear plastic one while Canare F12 has a black one.
If your plug doesn't have it, try a small piece of heatshrink. Would be much neater than electric tape.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Oh nice didn;t know it was called "heatshrink". I've used a viablue 3.5 jack plug witha HD650 cable. I'll try ebay then

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 8
Djankie,
You can buy heat shrink tubes from any hardware or DIY audio shops. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat-shrink_tubing

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 8
If you have already soldered your plug on,  slice the heat shrink to enable you to put it in place. Then carefully heat with a match or lighter.
Use a glue gun lightly to adhere if surfaces do not mend after cutting and heating.

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 8
If you are in the states, you can get heat shrink at a number of sources, including Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Heat guns are nice to speed the shrink process, but, in a pinch, a hair blowdryer works just fine (at least in my experience). A match, lighter or candle works as well, just not quite as convenient.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Thank you all. I got it working I bought heat gun for shrinking it. and some multifamide sleeving.

These are the final result: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back