Where to get "sensibly" priced but well performing interconnects and power cords?
Apr 2, 2016 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ymc226

Head-Fier
I just bought my first high end headphone (2nd gen Beyerdynamic T5p) from Mike at Woo Audio and am planning on getting  Woo's WA22 balanced headphone amp and WDS-1 DAC.  Eventually, I plan on getting their WTP-1 CD player as well.

I was recommended the Nordost power cords and XLR interconnect cables but read on the Woo thread that cables don't make that much difference and that either I could look in the usual places or have a member build cables to spec.  My plan is to use the extra money saved for tube upgrades which would make a more significant impact.

I would prefer a member build as I'd like to support members seeing that I will seek advice here often.  Any member referral suggestions that I could reach out too?  If not, what cable vendors or sites would you suggest?

Apr 2, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 7
Hey,

I dont have any of the hieher end gear that you have or intend to get, but I have had a little experience with cables, From my own perspective, Blue Jeans Cable is pretty good, I also have the quintessential Van Den Hul 103 hybrid cable which is pretty decent as well and also cables from Surf Cables, Ecosse, and Audio Art as well as the cheap generic stuff. 

I personally like the sound of the Blue Jeans, Ecosse and Van Den Hul in my setup. The Ecosse being the most mid centric and works well with Music Like Daft Punk Random Access Memories while the Blue Jeans is the most dynamic sounding and probably the best all rounder. The Van Den Hul being the safest choice. The Surf Cables is well refined, but sounds a bit constrained and a bit less open than some of the others, seemingly being refined and detailed but without the dynamic punch the others have.

I am itching to try out the Atlas Element as it is very well reviewed. 

The changes in my system at least are not night and day, but noticeable, and unless you get a really bad designed cable, you might be able to just get some decent cables and be done with it. The advice at the end of the day is to try as much as you can before you buy, and make decisions based on your own ears if possible.

At present my chain including cables is this; Mac Mini, generic usb cable to Schiit Modi Uber, Blue Jeans LC1 to Burson Soloist, to Oppo PM3 cabled with Silver coated copper copper cables from Surf Cables. Using this system, i did a blind test with a friend of mine who thought it was a joke that cables made a difference, but left hearing the difference and were shocked that they did. If you don't hear a difference, the all the better for you and you can just buy a good cable at a good price and be done with it.

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Dudley,

I looked at the Van Den Hul and they look to be in the ballpark of the Nordost's.  

What do you think of Signal Cable or Cabledyne?

(I cross posted in the Woo Audio thread)

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 7
I never heard either the Signal Cable or Cabledyne. I am one of the few unfortunate souls who has to buy to listen and I cant afford that, so I have to base my decision on alot of reading and reviews and take a plunge, or just buy on gut. I bought the Van Den Hul based on hearing it in my brother's system, All of the others were blind buys.

Apr 2, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 7
  I would prefer a member build as I'd like to support members seeing that I will seek advice here often.  Any member referral suggestions that I could reach out too?  If not, what cable vendors or sites would you suggest?

Give Bryan at Zynsonix - http://www.zynsonix.com/home.html a shout. He's been making me outstanding cables of al descriptions for years and is my "go to" cable guy. I can promise you that you will not be disappointed in either the quality of his work or the lead time on products ordered.

Paul.

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 7
  Give Bryan at Zynsonix - http://www.zynsonix.com/home.html a shout. He's been making me outstanding cables of al descriptions for years and is my "go to" cable guy. I can promise you that you will not be disappointed in either the quality of his work or the lead time on products ordered.

Paul.

Thanks for the recommendation Oink1.  I'll definitely call Bryan.  Seeing that the new T5p.2 have removable cables, instead of adding the OEM 10 foot XLR balanced extension cable, I'll have one custom made.  He's in Maryland; only a few hours away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back