Where to get new HDDs for 5th Gen iPods?
May 31, 2012 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Perplexed

Head-Fier
Hi, I bought a "very good" condition 5th Gen iPod (video), which is 30GB. In the future (probably 2013) I might want to upgrade it to an 80GB or something. Where can I (still) buy legitimate, quality parts in the UK?

I thought you guys would be the most trustworthy people to ask :)

Thanks. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 6
I just replaced the hold switch / head phone jack (it's 1 circuit) on my 30gb gen 5.5 ipod video. Bought the parts on Amazon for $11 including a new battery; I figured since I had it open why not replace it as well? The parts are readily available and cheap. 

I believe someone on this forum (lostid maybe?) replaced a 30gb drive with a 120gb drive without changing to a deeper back cover, but I could be mistaken. There are a few storage mods available including replacing the disc drive with a compact flash. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hi, I bought a "very good" condition 5th Gen iPod (video), which is 30GB. In the future (probably 2013) I might want to upgrade it to an 80GB or something. Where can I (still) buy legitimate, quality parts in the UK?

I thought you guys would be the most trustworthy people to ask :)

Thanks. 

I bought one 120GB HDD from this eBay seller and it works flawlessly on my ipod 5G. This HDD has the same thickness (5mm) as the stock 30GB HDD so all you need to do is to replace the HDD without the need to replace the back plate.

Don't forget to make an offer to the seller. He is very reasonable with the price.

Quote:
i'm not sure that 30gb version can upgrade too larger that 80gb cause the body is difference from 80gb version 

The 30GB/5G can be upgraded to 120GB HDD. The 30GB/5.5G can be upgraded to 240GB HDD using a thicker back plate.

Quote:
I just replaced the hold switch / head phone jack (it's 1 circuit) on my 30gb gen 5.5 ipod video. Bought the parts on Amazon for $11 including a new battery; I figured since I had it open why not replace it as well? The parts are readily available and cheap. 

I believe someone on this forum (lostid maybe?) replaced a 30gb drive with a 120gb drive without changing to a deeper back cover, but I could be mistaken. There are a few storage mods available including replacing the disc drive with a compact flash. 

Yes I have upgraded a pair of my 5G/5.5G to 120GB HDD's. Both are working flawlessly without any lag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back