where to get headphone amp in singapore
Oct 10, 2002 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ynos

New Head-Fier
hi, i will be in singapore early next month, is there anybody knows what amp available, how much (estimate price) and where to get...

thanks..

Oct 11, 2002 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 23
what kind of amps are you looking for?

There are two places.....

One is in Adelphi near City Hall MRT station...

The other is at Sim Lim Square.....which has only one shop I guess...selling creek and some other stuff

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 23
The MG head is by Antique Sound Lab?

There used to be a authorised dealer here in Singapore and its in Adelphi....

I am not sure if they carry that amp any more...

Maybe you can ask Guyferd.....he might know
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ynos
hi, i will be in singapore early next month, is there anybody knows what amp available, how much (estimate price) and where to get...

thanks..

You can get the Creek OBH-11 (~S$320) at Hung Brothers, 3rd storey at Sim Lim Square. Their shop if right in front of the escalator.
They also sell the OBH-11SE (S$600+) but they do not keep it in stock so you'll have to order and wait.

I heard that the Music Fidelty X-cans are sold for about S$400+ at Adelphi but I can't be too sure.

Oct 12, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by N@Z
I'll be in Singapore between 16th to 19th October. Any other recommendations? I heard Adelphi is a good place to look for high end gear but never been there. Sim Lim.. erk! I don't like their hard sell approach.

Hung brothers is a nice shop. Look for Douglas Hung if you want. He is quite a nice guy. Didn't frown or anything and helped me with testing some of the headphones although I didn't buy anything from him..
biggrin.gif

Eventually got a pair of MX400's on another day though.

Oct 13, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 23
N@Z's 'sensible' part of the brain says:'"Please, please, please... don't listen to anymore headphones."

I think you gonna say sorry to your wallet
biggrin.gif

The guys at Hung Bros are quite good.....he will let you try whatever headphones thats in his inventory if you ask for it.....

Better think twice before asking for a listen..........
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by tanghy
You can get a Sugden Headmaster at Adelphi 5th flr Electrolade for 1700++
or
Grado RA-1 at Music by Design Adelphi 3rd flr for $600

Music by Design Adelphi is now at the 2nd flr

Oct 14, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 23
thanks, will look at adelphi, but definately not sim lim!! i hated them....maybe except the store that sells creek - too bad if they only have limited head amps in adelphi...

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 23
Slight change in plans, will be there from 17th till 20th Oct. Hopefully I'll have time to go. What are their opening times? I assume it will be 1/2 day on Saturday & closed on Sunday. I might not have time during the week.

gryphon1972:
You know what, I'm sort of keen to have a listen to the Grado RS-1 with the RA-1 or possibly something better to partner with my AKG K1000. So I'm expecting some damage to the wallet already. What I'm worried about is other 'miscelaneous' purchases!!!
wink.gif

My colleague recently went for a trip with the intention of looking for a headphone amp only. He got the RA-1 at Adelphi & ended up getting 2 pairs of I/Cs, isolation 'thingies' & wireless headphones! Boy did he have a hell of a time to explain to his wife!

OH BTW, if anyone is interested to get an Airhead, Grado SR80 or MX400, PM me by wednesday & we can arrange to meet up there when I am free.

Oct 22, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #15 of 23
Phew! 4 days away & so many posts to catch up!

Yup got the RS-1 but not the RA-1. Didn't get a chance to go to Sim Lim as I didn't have time. So knackered! Managed to get a buyer for the Airhead. Coincidently when I got back got a potential buyer for the SR80's.

Next trip will be to malaysia at the end of the year just after Xmas, any recommendations? I'm not too familiar there.

Ynos:
When you are at Adelphi, drop into Music by Design & ask Chris to show you their Cary 300SEI SET integrated amp. Bootiful! It's got a headphone out which does not use seperate opamps. Cost? SGD7,200.00 with Western Electric 300B output tubes!

Also saw a nice 2nd hand gear shop (but it was closed till 24th Oct
frown.gif
& a few LP shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back