Where to get GOOD wires?!?
Dec 2, 2009 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oddity

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, here is the deal. While there are genuinely innovative cable makers out there, a lot of what people try to pedal is just snake oil.

I do not want to pay $100, $200, $300, or more for cable with a fancy logo stamped on it. Besides, soldering cables to jacks and plugs is Manly-Art is it not?

My big question is where can I get small amounts of HIGH QUALITY copper and silver wire? By high quality I mean 99.9999% pure copper (or close to it) stranded wire. The silver doesn't need to be all that pure, or even stranded. Neither one needs to come with any kind of jacket or coating, just plain ol' high purity copper and purdy silver.

Links, sites, advice, stores, or thoughts?

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 8
I have made a bunch of stuff with the Nucleotide wire from http://doublehelixcables.com/wire.html. Cryo treated high purity UPOCC starting at $2.50 a foot. Very reasonably priced for how nice it is and how easy it is to work with. Also a great website to get ideas for cool sheathing styles.

Forgot to add that it is the only one listed so far that is stranded, making it much more flexible for headphone cables.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 8
Diy HiFi Supply | Take Control sells silver wire for very reasonable prices (their unit price is by the meter). Its shipped to you bare (no insulation) but with teflon tubing if you wish to insulate it yourself.

Also, I do believe the correct phrase is "peddle snake oil"
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid+ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Homegrown Audio has quality copper and silver wire at reasonable prices.

Homegrown Audio Co. | pure silver audio cables - Products - Bulk Wire

The only problem with HGA is that they offer solid core wires only (to my knowledge) which are a bit too stiff and fragile for most portable and headphone applications.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only problem with HGA is that they offer solid core wires only (to my knowledge) which are a bit too stiff and fragile for most portable and headphone applications.

Oh shoot, I could've sworn that they had stranded wire... maybe in the past? Or maybe I'm just imagining...
But solid silver still fits in OPs interests, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back