Where to get ear molds done in the UK?
Jul 27, 2005 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

probedb

Head-Fier
Anyone from the UK on here have any suggestions on where I could get ear molds done?

A normal GP isn't going to do it so any ideas? Was wanting to start the ball rolling with getting some custom plugs for my UM-2s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 18
yes, that is good advice; the local hearing aid places will have the equipment to do them; I've had no problem getting ear impressions done locally in Sheffield. The local Hospital ENT dept might also be able to help.

Jul 27, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 18
I to was thinking about ordering a pair of custom phones in the shape of the UE10's from ulitmate ears, however the possibility of the phones not properly fitting my ears totally scared me off, the cost of posting the phones back to the states and the strong possibility that they might not fit me again. Its a risk alright, just make sure you get great impressions therefore keeping this risk low.

Jul 28, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 18
That place is charging nearly £800, approximately a £300 mark up on the UE10, welcome to rip-off Britain
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 18
Cheers everyone. I'll speak to a friend since she's a student nurse at Sheffield Hallamshire hospital
smily_headphones1.gif

It doesn't cost that much posting to the States so I'm happy with that...then again I'm used to getting car parts shipped.

I'm not getting any emails for this thread but I'm subscribed so I forgot about it.

Jul 29, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 18
Hi,

With regard to the prices in the UK, if you import UE's, as I did, direct from the US you are liable for VAT and import duty together with a customs clearance fee since they use Fedex. So the additional £300 is not as excessive as it first seems.

I telephoned several hearing centres and found one that was used to doing custom moulds for hearing aids. Print out the instructions from UE and Sensa and take them with you. Keep your mouth reasonably open whilst the moulds are being taken, not stretched wide open. Mine cost £30 and my UE's fitted OK first time. Initialy I thought they were not tight enough, since I'd been using ER4's and there is not the same isolaton. However, when I inserted them correctly and realised this, they were fine.

I walk around , drink, drink some more and no loss of seal.

If you go for Sensas, they will ship as a gift under $60 so avoiding duties etc. The downside of this is if they are damaged or lost in transit, you can only get $60 back from the carrier since that is the declared value.

Hope this is a little informative.

Regards

John

Jul 29, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 18
I guess the best place in the world for having ear impressions taken for any kinds of in-ear monitors and canalphones is Harpenden near London: ACS Hearing Protection (http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/). Unfortunately, the site is currently unavailable as they are rebuilding it I guess. You can try this email address, though: info@hearingprotection.co.uk.They are the best of the bests; masters of this art and it was them who trained the Sensaphonics people in the US for example. You have to realize that taking perfect ear impressions is the most vital to the whole process of making IEM's and it's not that any local hearing centers will do the job for you; they have to be professionals with far greater knowledge than that of a typical hearing guy. If you mention that you got this info from Greg from Poland (that's me), then maybe you will have them done at a lower price
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 18
HI when i was on one of the NEC bike shows i saw a company that was selling ear plugs for bikers, but they also did custom molds for earphones (they had pictures with ipod buds and the silicon mould on)
The custom molds were £70 if im not mistaken.
They are located in Kent and im sure that if they can make custom moulds, they can also do a ear immpresion for u.
brace yourselves guys
www.ultimateear.com

Hope this helps.
Nik

Aug 1, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 18
You might also try http://www.greenleopard.co.uk/Homepage

They have dealers dotted around the uk. Jim, The local dealer in Sheffield seemed to know what he was doing when taking ear impressions and they seemed just as accurate as those done by the ACS dealer or by the two local Audiologists that I got impressions from. The Ety ER4 molds produced from my 'home impression kit' impressions are just as comfortable as the Sensaphonics X2 supplied by ACS, so either impressions to the 2nd bend of the ear canal aren't that much of an art, or I just got lucky.

Good luck with the custom plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back