Where to get Denon AH-D2000 in Toronto area? [New]
Dec 31, 2009 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Jonothon

New Head-Fier
Hey.

I am having some trouble acquiring these headphones in my area. Does anyone know where I can purchase the Denon AH-D2000 in Toronto (Ontario), new and under $250 CAD? (online or in-store)

Bloor Bay Radio is the only store in Toronto I know of that has them, but they only have a demo unit, and for $299.

Amazon won't ship them to Canada. I could have them to have them shipped to Buffalo, and pick them up there, but I would really prefer not to.

All help will be appreciated.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 10
Denon D2000 @ B&H Photo

SubTotal: $214.95 US
Shipping: UPS Worldwide Expedited: $30.15 US
Total: $ 245.10 US + Taxes

I know UPS has a terrible rep with Canadians, but I have used B&H Photo and shipped with Worldwide Expedited and I can confirm that there is no brokerage fee, only the PST + GST that you'll have to pay at the door. You can pay approx $9 more and use USPS if you're not willing to chance it.

This is probably the best you can do if you want new headphones. The D2000 is a fairly common headphone, so I don't think you should have many problems finding these used at the For Sale Forums.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 10
They are way too expensive in Toronto as are most other headphones. I saw Denon AH-D2000 at Bay/Bloor radio. It costs 399 CAD there. You will be much better off buying a pair online.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D2000 @ B&H Photo

SubTotal: $214.95 US
Shipping: UPS Worldwide Expedited: $30.15 US
Total: $ 245.10 US + Taxes

I know UPS has a terrible rep with Canadians, but I have used B&H Photo and shipped with Worldwide Expedited and I can confirm that there is no brokerage fee, only the PST + GST that you'll have to pay at the door. You can pay approx $9 more and use USPS if you're not willing to chance it.

This is probably the best you can do if you want new headphones. The D2000 is a fairly common headphone, so I don't think you should have many problems finding these used at the For Sale Forums.

I had my share of s.h.i.t.t.iness w/ UPS as well. HD800 was $1550 CAD after shipping and dollar conversion, which I thought was done for. 3 weeks after I get an invoice from UPS asking me to pay 200 additional bucks for GST and PST. Same thing happened w/ my DAC1 Pre, in this case 300 bucks of tax, brokerage, and their so-called 'prep fees'. In the end DAC1 cost me north of 2000 bucks, HD800 1700 bucks, way more than a US resident would pay for even after the US-CAD conversion. Both shipped w/ UPS, one ground, one express. My fault for not doing enough research w/ the carrier. Lesson learned. UPS/Fedex ruled out from now on. On the flip side, haven't had a single incident w/ USPS so it's pretty clear which route I will be taking for the rest of my endeavors.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Really, unless getting it new is really THAT important to you, then getting it here on Head-fi well used is the easiest and most sensible option. Best advice I can offer for buying it in retail in the GTA area is to wait for the annual Denon warehouse sale (In Markham), where they'll sell their products at warehouse prices (note: "warehouse price" here in Canada for Audio stuff is pretty much how much they sell it for normally in U.S! So it still doesn't mean THAT much). They usually have a few D2000's but they sell out very fast IIRC.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks K_19! wasn't aware there was a Denon warehouse sale. Guess I'll wait until then and browse around Head-fi for a used pair. I didn't want to go the online route from all the horror stories I've been hearing about customs and such, save myself the headache.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 10
The Denon Warehouse sale is usually March of every year; you can keep an eye out at redflagdeals.com (Canadian deals web site, if you're not familiar) or call Denon Canada to find out when it's going to take place this year. Last year I did get a pair of NC732 headphones for $99, which was a great deal (I've sold it since, but it was great for a NC can). There's some decent deals for Receivers and CD players as well.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Yup...avoid UPS, and check with the online store, or other American retailer with regard to their shipping method. Many will use USPS if you ask.
Good tip re: Denon warehouse sale/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back