Where to get cool DIY AMP cases?
Jun 21, 2001 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

neil

500+ Head-Fier
I love my DIY head phone amp; however, I didn't "do it myself". One question is where can I find some really cool cases? I've seen the Altoids case, Jude's Total Airhead, and of course, the cool one that I have -- but I'd like to see a place to find some really hip compact cases.

The Total Airhead looks like a radar detector, and that's really cool.. but I think that a case that could hold a few more batteries yet still have a sleek compact design would be hip.

[BTW, testing some "Post a poll" option on this post -- if it's lame, please ignore it.
biggrin.gif
]

Jun 21, 2001 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 13
I just got some really nice Pactec 9VB-ET boxes twice as high as the standard Cmoy box. It took a while to find these, but actually Mouser had them online. (not in their catalog) Mouser Stock No. 616-66830 these are black and all dimensions are the same except for height.
This box is actually for 2 9v and will hold a Hansen board whith much higher components too. Now I can mount the resistors vertically and use bigger caps if needed, although I have lots of 1uf small WIMA's.
Dan

Jun 21, 2001 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 13
hey neil, about your poll: right now I'm working on an apheared amp clone. It's going to hold 16 AA's. How's that for sacraficing size for power?
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2001 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 13
16 AA's? Man alive -- that's just a couple double-A's short of powering Detroit for a day.

Neruda, is that case chrome/metal on top/bottom or is that white plastic?

Jun 21, 2001 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Pumphrey

This box is actually for 2 9v and will hold a Hansen board whith much higher components too. Now I can mount the resistors vertically and use bigger caps if needed, although I have lots of 1uf small WIMA's.
Dan

Two 9V batteries? You use 9 volts in your headphone amp?

Jun 21, 2001 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by neil

Two 9V batteries? You use 9 volts in your headphone amp?

Neil, 9V batteries are quite common for use in DIY amps (and are also used in the Grado RA-1 headphone amp).

Anyone here know what the typical mAH rating for an alkaline 9V battery is? A good NiMH one?

Jun 21, 2001 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 13
The case is plastic. And yeah, 9V batteries are almost always used in DIY amps. They offer way more voltage than AA's (9 volts vs. 1.5 volts) but lack life when the amp you build sucks a lot of power. 16 AA's give me +/-12 volts and about 200 hours of battery life, according to apheared.
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2001 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 13
That was the model for the amp that I was using as my home amp B/C (before Creek). I posted a pic of it a while ago on Headwize. Difference is that I used a black plastic Pac-Tec case. 16 AAs are the way to go, IMHO.

Jun 22, 2001 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 13
that's exactly what I'll be doing, down to the black plastic case. It'll be my home amp until I make a szekeres or something...

Jun 26, 2001 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Typical Alkiline 9 volts have about 500 MAh. Eveready Duracell Industrial Claims 580 MAh. Most NI-MH 9 volt's are 150 MAH, But the actual MHa will varry from Brand to Brand. The Gold Peak Work the Best and radio Shack NI-MH the Worst. In fact The RS will start to go Downhill after about a Week. Their is some 170 MIN 200 TYP. 9 volt rechargables from Plainview Batteries available from Tommas Distributing, about $10.00 Ea.

Jul 1, 2001 at 1:57 AM Post #11 of 13
Someone other than myself
smily_headphones1.gif
should build an amp using 4 D cells. THere would have to be some sort of DC-DC converter like the one used in the airhead, but think of the possibilities! Duracell industrial AAs have 2100mAh. The D cell however, has 14,000mAh. Multiply that by 4 and that's almost 27 AAs! Of course, 4 D cells is sort of big...

Hey this is a crazy thought, but while we're talking about souped up amps, anyone thought of taking an entire 48pack of costco AAs and powering their amp? It already comes in a convenient cardboard box with the batteries packaged in clumps of 4 with their terminals exposed... It would be interesting to solder them together using paper clips (i'm too cheap and lazy to use wire) and hook it up to a cmoy. I think I'll try that in August when I go back home. heheheheh...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back